Feature Suggestion (UX): Content Part descriptions

Topics: Administration, Core
Developer
Sep 13, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Currently, if we want to add a content part to a content type, we'll see a list of available parts. At the top of the screen there is a help text stating: "Choose the Parts to add to this Content Type. Adding the Containable part makes it possible to add content items of this type to a List."

That is useful information related to the Containable part. Similarly, it may be helpful to users to have a short description of other parts as well.

If each part could have a short description, it could be rendered next to the name of each part (I'm thinking of a table here with 2 columns).

Or instead of showing the descriptions all at once, we could add a small help icon which the user can click to show a tooltip / balloon.

This help text could be implemented as a setting on the content part.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I agree. More help text! Could be a feature you can enable and disable. Although that might ruin the whole point of it since newer Orchard users, like myself, wouldn't know to enable it and hence wouldn't benefit from it at the start. And that would be when it would be most beneficial I reckon. 

Nice idea anyway.

Developer
Sep 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Help texts would be quite useful for such features, I think it wouldn't hurt if it was displayed under the name of the part. Hints will be important for when Orchard is more known among non-technical users. There could be a setting for displaying hints (eg. enable/disable everywhere, or select the features those a user wants to display hints for), which should be on by default, and it could be disabled when installing Orchard (and from a recipe too).
Although it would require a lot of additions to a lot of views to make this setting mean anything.

Developer
Oct 4, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I created a workitem here: http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/19095
I also created an initial implementation in this fork: http://orchard.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/sfmskywalker/ContentPartDescriptions/changeset/f6b3a3522790

In order to display a description, you simply have to set the "Description" setting on a content part.
I've also added UI so the user can edit descriptions. Could be further enhanced by implementing permissions, so that not all users can modify descriptions.

I'll try and show a short demo next tuesday.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I like this idea. It would be nice to have a similar display of descriptions in the modules section of the dashboard. If not a description, at least a link to the project page, or the module's page in the Orchard Gallery. 

Developer
Oct 6, 2012 at 4:12 AM

I like that idea as well, and it seems like that is already implemented (see the Installed tab under Modules). Also, if you change the view of the listed features, you'll see the feature descriptions. Unless you mean something else?

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I found the lack of information sometimes limited.

There is sometimes a link to the documentation but this is not up-to-date. I like this suggestion!

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Just a not to mention that the documentation, like the rest of Orchard, is open source. It's on GitHub and taking contributions (I took a bunch of pull requests this morning).