Feature suggestion (UX): list Content Types by StereoType

Topics: Administration, Core
Sep 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Currently, the Content Types list displays all content types in one big list. But now that we have the Widget and MenuItem stereotypes, as an ongoing effort to improve UX, it may be nice if we could separate this list into 4 tabs: All, Content, Widget, and MenuItem.

It's an easy implementation and I would gladly do it. Just let me know your thoughts.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Sounds interesting, especially if we promote the content type editor to the menu on the left:

1. It's optional, as the content types feature doesn't have to be on by default

2. I spend a lot of time in there and it's bugging me to have to go through Content

3. Once you've done that, it frees the tab real estate for that categorization.

Alternatively, we could have filters like we do in the feature list or in the contents list. Now that I mention it, having live filtering like in the feature list would be easy and great.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:31 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Moving it to the menu on the left even simplifies things since we can use the LocalNav property of the menu items.
I also like the live filtering idea. Perhaps we should combine the two: the tabs group the content types by stereotype, and the filter will filter the types on the current tab by content type name.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Yes. :) I quite like the dynamics in contributions that Harvest seems to have stirred ;) Great to see all that enthusiasm!

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Ok, created an issue here: http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/19094

Should I create a fork, or can I work directly on the 1.x branch?

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Created a fork and sent a pull request. Perhaps for 1.7? http://orchard.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/sfmskywalker/ContentTypesByStereoTypes/contribution/3453

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM

This sounds like a really nice feature. As the number of Content Types grow, it tends to get hard to get to a specific Content Type. 

I would love the possiblity to organise Content Types into custom Stereo Types of my choosing (and creation).

Really looking forward to the feature!

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

You could add a tab to the content screen, like the admin search content feature is doing. The Tree module also has extensibility points that would enable you to implement that.