Shape Tracer - Functionality

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, Writing themes
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Is there any documentation on how Shape Tracer actually does what it does?

As I customize some of ways the content is rendered; I've noticed that Shape Tracer will stop detecting properly.

(e.g. does it key off of class="zone zone-header" or <article> etc)?

Any insight would be helpful to make sure that this always works properly.

thanks

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM

http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Customizing-Orchard-using-Designer-Helper-Tools

Shape tracing gets rendered in the Tail zone. It has nothing to do (and doesn't know anything) about tags and CSS classes.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

So when I remove the <article> tags or the <div class="zone zone-name"> tags - shape tracer no longer proper defines each object.  So it must be using something along the lines of those elements to help; otherwise - I would assume that removing such elements from the HTML shoudl have no affect on Shape Tracer.

Do you get shape tracer to work properly if you remove any of those tags?

thanks

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You are removing those tags from where?

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:41 AM

using the Zone.cshtml - I would not render the <div class="zone zone-name" />

using the Widget.Wrapper.cshtml - I would not render the article tag.

With these two turned "off" - shape tracer has a really hard time working.

If it doesn't depend on tags - then maybe because "Widget.Wrapper" overrides something that the ShapeTracer uses for rendering?

thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Ah, OK, I see. I was a little confused but now I understand. Yes, shape tracing does need something to hold onto in order to be able to annotate the markup. If you want to remove some of those tags, then yes I'm afraid it comes at the cost of breaking shape tracing.