.Net Version unknown on publish

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Aug 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I'm new to Orchard, I'm creating a simple site and trying to publish to my GoDaddy ASP.Net 4.0 hosted account.  I'm publishing to a folder marked as an Application root.

Prior to publishing, the compatibility check said that the .Net Version on the host was unknown, but simple HTML publishing passed.  No other checks were displayed.

After the publish, the site gives an internal server error "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred." and the site no longer work on my development machine either.

Any ideas what's going on here, or configurations I need to change to get this site to work again?  I'm using Orchard 1.5.1, just installed today.

Love the framework, hope the publishing will work so I can use it.

Forgot to mention that I'm using the FTP deploy method - GoDaddy doesn't support WebDeploy.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM

If you download the log files, perhaps they will give you a hint as to what the error exactly is. Could be a database connection failure.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM

It looks like there's an issue on the published site with accessing the Markdown.dll file.  GoDaddy provides shared hosting using ASP.Net 4.0, with a Medium Trust setting.  I've got a support ticket into them to see if access this .dll should be allowed - but the server is not currently granting access.  Here's the stack trace (I replaced the full path name with ... :

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '...\App_Data\Dependencies\Markdown.dll' is denied.]
   System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) +9722910
   System.IO.File.Delete(String path) +9545728
   Orchard.FileSystems.AppData.AppDataFolder.MakeDestinationFileNameAvailable(String destinationFileName) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\FileSystems\AppData\AppDataFolder.cs:79

[OrchardCoreException: Unable to make room for file "...\App_Data\Dependencies\Markdown.dll" in "App_Data" folder]
   Orchard.FileSystems.AppData.AppDataFolder.MakeDestinationFileNameAvailable(String destinationFileName) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\FileSystems\AppData\AppDataFolder.cs:82
   Orchard.FileSystems.AppData.AppDataFolder.DeleteFile(String path) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\FileSystems\AppData\AppDataFolder.cs:145
   Orchard.FileSystems.Dependencies.DefaultAssemblyProbingFolder.DeleteAssembly(String moduleName) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\FileSystems\Dependencies\DefaultAssemblyProbingFolder.cs:53
   Orchard.Environment.Extensions.Loaders.<>c__DisplayClass11.<ExtensionDeactivated>b__f() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\Extensions\Loaders\PrecompiledExtensionLoader.cs:91
   Orchard.Environment.Extensions.ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.ProcessContextCommands(ExtensionLoadingContext ctx) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\Extensions\ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.cs:362
   Orchard.Environment.Extensions.ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.SetupExtensions() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\Extensions\ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.cs:74
   Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost.BuildCurrent() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\DefaultOrchardHost.cs:102
   Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost.Orchard.Environment.IOrchardHost.Initialize() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\DefaultOrchardHost.cs:68
   Orchard.Web.MvcApplication.HostInitialization(HttpApplication application) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Global.asax.cs:48
   Orchard.WarmupStarter.<>c__DisplayClass3.<LaunchStartupThread>b__2(Object state) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.WarmupStarter\Starter.cs:89

[ApplicationException: Error during application initialization]
   Orchard.WarmupStarter.Starter`1.OnBeginRequest(HttpApplication application) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.WarmupStarter\Starter.cs:63
   Orchard.Web.MvcApplication.Application_BeginRequest() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Global.asax.cs:29

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +0
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +72
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +335
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +28
   System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) +19
   System.Web.Util.ArglessEventHandlerProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +57
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +148
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

After getting a GoDaddy Support request response, the following tips show to how get an Orchard published website to work on their shared hosting environments.

To get it running, I needed to make two adjustments, one in WebMatrix, the other in GoDaddy.
a) In WebMatrix, set <customErrors mode=”Off” /> in the web.config file in your ROOT DIRECTORY.
b) In GoDaddy File Manager, select all folders in your root directory (check them all) and click “Advanced Permissions”. Check both Read and Write and apply.

I did both of these and the site comes up like a charm - nice!  Looking forward to working with Orchard more.