Deploying Orchard from Azure Gallery using Git

Topics: Administration, Writing themes
Aug 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Hi, the problem I'm running into might be a limitation of Azure, but I figured I would post it here in case I'm misunderstanding something.

I'm running Orchard 1.5.1 on the new Azure Web Sites platform, and I installed Orchard using the Azure Gallery. I'd like to modify the theme; right now I can use WebMatrix to download the source, then publish the changes back to Azure, but I'd like to version control the changes.

I'm trying to use the "Git Deployments" feature of azure, like this:

1. Install Orchard using Azure Gallery, enable git deployments for Azure Web Site.
  2. Download Orchard to local machine using WebMatrix
  3. Create git repo from downloaded orchard source, make and commit changes to the theme.
  4. Push changes to Azure remote as a deployment

However, this doesn't work, since Azure doesn't know how to compile the project, it can't find the .sln file, since this is a webmatrix project, so it doesn't have one. I get the error "Unable to determine which project file to build."

Am I going down the right path here? I suppose I could push all of the orchard source to azure so it would just be treated as a normal MVC project, or I could publish using WebMatrix while managing version control separately, but it'd be nice to have version control and publishing both via Git. 

Thanks 

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2012 at 5:22 AM

See http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/358786