General opinion on scalability with Orchard

Topics: Core, General
Aug 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Hi,

I'm brand new to this board and Orchard too, and wondered if anyone could offer up some advice.

I'm currently working on a personal project which is a basic directory website, containing 3000+ establishments.  Each establishment has 150 fields of data (e.g. name, address line 1, address line 2 etc etc).  The project has been built on Umbraco as I generally love the platform and have lots of experience with it.  I've used this project as a bit of an experiment on scaling to push Umbraco places I've not pushed it before though, and I've been disappointed.

The data has eventually been input (painful with so much data - it had to be chunked into very small portions) but it's impossible now to add new fields to the data or to bulk publish even a few hundred pages without it falling over.  There are examples of large sites built on Umbraco (e.g. ASP.NET which is comparatively huge) so it can obviously be done, but my research suggests that it means hacking the core, which is something very much at the edge of my capabilities and concerns me in the long-term.  Umbraco seems like a poor fit for the project.

Sooo....  I've started looking at potential alternative platforms which could handle this scenario without modifying the core.  I favour .NET over LAMP and since it's a personal project open source is better for me than commercial, so Orchard is the natural next port of call.

Could anyone suggest whether something like this would work on Orchard 'out of the box', or am I likely to face similar issues?  Are there tools to quickly populate an Orchard instance with data, and if so, do they scale well?

Any advice/suggestions/experiences either qualitative or quantitative would be greatfully received before I get any deeper into this.

Thanks all!

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:00 AM

I can't speak to the scalability you request but there are tools to populate Orchard quickly, if you can export your data from Umbraco. I'm sure there will be quite a bit of prep on your end to get this to work with your expected data types. Just don't try to use SQL CE. :)