Reset user password from user in Administrator role

Topics: Administration, General
Aug 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I have the need to administer users to my site from an admin user, and need the ability to reset the password of any given user.  In other words - I create new users (they are not allowed to sign up/register on their own), and need to be able to set a new password for them.  I am running 1.5.1 and do not see this on the users page in the dashboard - is this functionality included by default?  If not is there a module that will handle?

Developer
Aug 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I don't think it's there by default, but did you do a search on the gallery? http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Search?packageType=Modules&searchTerm=user+admin

That Change Password Link sounds promising.

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:02 AM
Just ran into this myself today. While the module looks interesting, changing passwords is so fundamental that it really should be a part of the base system. A quick search of issues didn't turn up anything to vote on.

Are there any plans to add this functionality?
Developer
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM
I'm not sure. Generally, no one, not even admins, should know the password except for the user himself. If there is such a requirement, then that should be a custom module.
Jun 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Knowing (or being able to find out) is different than changing. Changing a password, without knowing what the old one was, is a fairly common requirement. Setting a password for a new user is also often a requirement (with expiry). Better than no password at all.

As an aside, I found that the ability does exist, but only as a route that you have to copy & paste in manually. The module appears to just put it on the admin screen.

Can I put my vote in for a through re-work of the Admin module? In place upgrades. User management improvements. Catching up with WordPress in this regard will make adoption a much smoother process.
Jun 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM
For an admin to set a password for a user:
http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Contrib.Mod.ChangePassword <- designed for orchard 1.2 i think, but should still work.
  • adds a tab to the users section in admin dashboard.
I needed this functionality ages ago as for some reason its too hard for users (too important people) to change their password themselves through forgotten password. It doesn't allow looking at a password but does allow setting any user's password to anything entered at that time. Let me or Harry (currently the author of it) know if it doesn't work and I'll get an update up.
Developer
Jun 10, 2013 at 12:46 AM
nunez wrote:
Setting a password for a new user is also often a requirement (with expiry). Better than no password at all.
Fair enough. I've seen many systems where passwords are sent in plain text, and set by admins. Still, I think that generally speaking it would be better if the system would generate a password and provide the administrator with an option to send a password reset link to the user. To me, not sending clear text passwords seems safer and letting users decide on their password should be the standard, as opposed to letting admins specify passwords and send them to users.
Can I put my vote in for a through re-work of the Admin module?
Definitely. You could file an issue as a feature request with your ideas. Others can vote on it. Also, there's a User Voice account here: http://orchard.uservoice.com.
If others like the ideas, you could rework the module and provide a pull request.
Jan 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM
matt4446 wrote:
For an admin to set a password for a user:
http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Contrib.Mod.ChangePassword <- designed for orchard 1.2 i think, but should still work.
  • adds a tab to the users section in admin dashboard.
I realize this is an older post, but this functionality is exactly what I need too. I am now on Orchard 1.7.1.0 though, and it gives me an error whenever I try to save the new password:
An unhandled exception has occurred and the request was terminated. Please refresh the page. If the error persists, go back
String reference not set to an instance of a String. Parameter name: s
System.ArgumentNullException: String reference not set to an instance of a String. Parameter name: s at System.Text.Encoding.GetBytes(String s) at DanubiusInfo.Orchard.Ldap.Services.LdapMembershipService.ValidatePasswordHashed(UserPartRecord partRecord, String password) at DanubiusInfo.Orchard.Ldap.Services.LdapMembershipService.ValidateUser(String userNameOrEmail, String password) at DanubiusInfo.Orchard.Ldap.Services.LdapMembershipService.SetPassword(IUser user, String password) at Contrib.Mod.ChangePassword.Controllers.ChangePasswordController.EditUserPasswordPost(ChangePasswordViewModel model) at lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) at System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary2 parameters) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary2 parameters) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass13.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__10() at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func1 continuation) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func1 continuation) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation)
I am not a developer and am just wondering if this was an error on my part or this simply won't work with the new version. Thanks!
Apr 12, 2014 at 11:02 PM
I checked it works for version Orchard v.1.8.0.0
Apr 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM
I'm still running v.1.7.1.0 and it's working now. I'm no longer getting the same error and have since been successful in changing another user's password.