Azure web role on multiple instances

Topics: Troubleshooting
Aug 4, 2012 at 6:06 AM
Edited Aug 4, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Orchard (v1.5.1) seems to behave erratically when deployed to Azure Cloud Services with more than one Azure instance.  

For example, if I create a new page and click "Publish Now" I may see the green "Your Page has been created" message or I may not.  If the message is not displayed and I then view the page that I just created, I may see the green "Your Page has been created" message on the actual front-end page that I just created (not in the dashboard).

I have noticed this behavior when creating content, enabling themes and enabling modules.

I have downloaded the Azure source code, built using ClickToBuildAzurePackage.cmd, changed the ServiceConfiguration.cscfg file to read "<Instances count="3" />" and uploaded the package to Azure Cloud Services. I do have a machineKey in the Web.config file.  All the modules used by the site have been added to the Orchard.Azure solution and referenced by the Orchard.Azure.Web project. Nothing has been added from the Gallery.

I have tried restarting the Azure instances.  I have also tried disabling dynamic compilation.

The issue appears to be similar to work items 18631 and 18121.

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

On any web farm, Azure or other, cache won't propagate magically, and you need a distributed cache solution.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I will investigate further and try to find a distributed cache solution to work with Orchard.

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Nick Mayne has built one.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

It looks like this is the link to Nick's post: http://www.themayneissue.com/memorystream/appfabric-caching-in-orchard-cms