Blog as a Content Item for Navigation

Topics: Administration
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I would like to have breadcrumbs show up for blog posts and even blog landing pages, but with the new Navigation using Content Items specified through the Content Picker as the only source for menu items that generate breadcrumbs, blogs and blog posts are not able to display any. Is there a way I can make blogs at least show up in the Content Picker?

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:30 AM

have you tried making the  BlogPost content type creatable? it filters to only creatable types   im sure there are better ways too.

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:13 AM

I'm not really too concerned about the blog posts themselves since I am not likely ever add a specific post to a menu but if I could at least add the blogs to the Content Picker, and therefore include breadcrumbs on the blog landing pages it would be nice. I tried making the Blog type creatable but that did not do anything as far as including the type in the Content Picker list.

I am trying to replicate some of the function of the Breadcrumbs widget that was included in the Advanced Menu module. I appreciated that it automatically checked for containable parts and contstructed breadcrumbs without needing to derive them from a refernced menu. I can appreciate some of the purpose of referencing a menu when using breadcrumbs, but it would be more useful if it did not restrict itself to only creatable Content Menu Items OR if there were more ways to make any Content Part available to the Content Picker selection list.

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Edited Jul 31, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Have you had a look at line 37 in Orchard.ContentPicker.Controllers.AdminController?  That's where it appears to be querying for the types that should be listed.  Maybe you can mess with that query a bit to make sure you're getting the right types?  

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Got it. Thanks. I had to make the Blog type both Creatable and Containable for it to show up in the query results.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I am also trying to display breadcrumbs for blog posts, but without linking each post to menu items.

Could anybody tell me how to do that ?

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

As the navigation only displays breadcrumbs for items contained within the menu you would only be able to get that to happen if you added each blog post to a menu.

I feel your frustration on that. I wish the breadcrumbs would pick up on contained items automatically.