Set a list default for new content items

Topics: General
Jul 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I've defined a new content type "News Article" that is containable and I've also created a List to contain these. In the admin menu, in the "New" section at the top left, when I click the create new "News Article" link, the "Add to" drop-down at the top of the page defaults to "None".

The problem here is that I have "editors" who often don't think to select the list from this drop-down when creating new news articles, thus the news articles they create aren't included in the list and are not displayed on the website in the list (or on the homepage's container widget that I have defined).

Is there a way to set a default list for a particular content type?

It would be great if we could either

a) choose a "Default List" in the definition for the content type (it could be a setting for the Containable part?)

or

b) Check a box on the list properties to "Make this list the default container for XXXX" where XXXX is the content type that the list contains.

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM

The list feature is deprecated, so there won't be any changes. You should consider other, better ways of classifying contents, such as Taxonomies.

Also, if all you want to do is have a list of all contents of a certain type, it's trivial to achieve with Projections.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I thought that might be the case. I would much prefer to use projections, however one thing I haven't figured out how to do is to have an admin view of the query to provide editors with easy access to the news articles.

Is there a way to indicate that a projection query should display as a menu item in the admin (eg. "News Articles") that displays the results of the projection in admin mode, and provides a "Create New Item" link? This is the one thing the list currently gives me that I haven't figured out how to replicate using projections.

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM

There's an admin preview of a query's results. You could replicate that.

You can also filter the content view in the admin by content type. The Vandelay.Industries module even adds menu items for each type.