Unable to install modules or themes

Topics: Administration, Troubleshooting
Jul 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Everytime I try to install a module or a theme via the web UI, I get the error;

"Package installation failed: There was an error installing the requested package. This can happen if the server does not have write access to the '~/Modules' or '~/Themes' folder of the web site. If the site is running in shared hosted environement, adding write access to these folders sometimes needs to be done manually through the Hoster control panel. Once Themes and Modules have been installed, it is recommended to remove write access to these folders."

I am hosting this in IIS 7 on Windows 7. I have a folder called Orchard which contains the site, this in the wwwroot folder in inetpub. I have tried the following to resolve this;

• The application pool was set to run under the ApplicationPoolIdentity but I couldn't get this to work so I have changed it to NetworkService. I have given the NetworkService account read/write access to the entire Orchard folder.
  • I have checked the log file in the App_Data/Logs/ folder. Log files are being created but they are always empty.
  • Removed the default Gallery path (even though it looked ok) and added a new one with the path http://packages.orchardproject.net/FeedService.svc/
  • Performed numerous IISResets

I'm at a loss, what else can I try? I'm running Orchard 1.5.

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Usually I grant access to IIS_USR for those folders. Don't grant access to the whole folder, just App_data, Modules, Themes, and Media

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM
sebastienros wrote:

Usually I grant access to IIS_USR for those folders. Don't grant access to the whole folder, just App_data, Modules, Themes, and Media

I have given the following accounts write access to those folders;

• IIS_IUSRS
  • IUSR
  • Orchard

but I still get the same error.

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Did you check what user the app pool was running under? You could also try to audit the directories to see what exactly is being denied.

As a workaround, you can download the packages from the gallery, rename them as zip, extract the module's folder from there (it not the root, be careful), and copy it into the module folder of the site.