Upgrading from 1.4.2 (with Advanced Menu) to 1.5

Topics: General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Jul 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I thought this might help someone avoid the adventures I had yesterday. I did all this after the upgrade but it might be an idea to do it before as the upgrade doesn't keep your existing menu's intact anyway.

I don't think it matters which order you do this:

1. Orchard.exe > package uninstall Orchard.Module.Szmyd.Orchard.Modules.Menu.

2. Delete all Advanced Menu's.

3. Delete all Advanced Menu Widgets.

4. Delete Menu & Menu Relation Parts from all Content Types.

5. Add Navigation Part to all Content Types.

6. Re-create all menu's.

In Navigation/Content Menu Item/Add, the pop-up window throws some JS errors in use: "Cannot Perform Requested Operation" & "TypeError: menuText.val() is undefined" also the window has no vertical scroll bar so if you have a lot of Content Items you can't get at all of them but you can add Content Items to a menu in the Content Items properties once the Navigation Part is added.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

The popup and js bugs have been created in the issue tracker and are still resolved in Orchard.Core and Orchard.Search but only in the latest version of the source code (See http://orchard.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets or http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Setting-up-a-source-enlistment) on a branch named '1.5' that Sebastien created and will use to make corrections for the next 1.5.1 version.

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Sorry Troy, I'd like to release 1.5.1 already, but just want to take a few more hours just to ensure I am not missing anything more.

Antoine has been of great help on this one, just regret he didn't try the RCs instead ;)

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Don't mention it. I've recently had to walk away from Umbraco 5 so I'm 'right chuffed' I've found a comparable alternative and the lively throughput of fixes and new features is most encouraging.

Hats off all round, gentlemen.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Hi ,

I'm using 1.5.1 and trying to put vertical menu as well in my site.

I'm using this token to create two menu (horizontal and vertical)

<div class="horizontal">@if (Model.Navigation != null) {@Display(Model.Navigation)}</div>
<div class="vertical">@if (Model.Navigation != null) {@Display(Model.Navigation)}</div>

but orchard for the first token that he encounters create correctly the html structure like <ul><li><a>item1</a></li></ul> for the second token he creates <ul><a>item1</a></ul>

He can't work with both? Where can I change the code to make this right?

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Something else has got to be different. Are you saying that you're creating the Navigation zone in two different places? That can't work. You should have two different zones, named differently, and add widgets to each.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM

There´s any way that i can put two menus in the Layout.cshtml using the

@if (Model.Navigation != null) {@Display(Model.Navigation)}

How can I distinguish them?

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM

OK, I think you're confused. @Display(Model.Navigation) is not what displays the menu. That is just defining a zone named "Navigation" where you can add widgets, such as a menu widget.

What you need to do is add two menu widgets to two different zones. The name is irrelevant, and they certainly don't have to be named "Navigation". Makes sense?

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Ok, i understand now :P

So there's a way i can use the menu widget without putting in a zone, in my View (layout.cshtml)?

I'm reading about Shapes, can i call the menu in the layout.cshtml?

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

No, widgets go into zones. If you want to put a widget somewhere there needs to be a zone there. Not sure what you mean by "call the menu".