Want to change footer, don't see any Controllers or Models

Topics: Core
Jul 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I installed Orchard from the Installer and all I see are views.  I don't see any Controllers or Models and I understand this is supposed to be MVC.  How can I get to these to modify them?  I want to change the footer so it puts | in between the links.  Thanks for your help!

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The controllers are inside modules. But you don't need to change any controllers to change the footer. Just override footer.cshtml in your theme.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM

If you look inside the Core and the Modules folder, you'll see a whole bunch of subfolders that host modules (which are somewhat analogous to a MVC portable areas). There you should find controllers and models. However, if you're looking to simply change the footer, you'll probably only want to modify the theme you're using (and if it's a downloaded theme, you may want to derive a new theme from it and override views from there).

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I have received some help for this in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11562833/modify-footer-in-orchard-cms.  It was said, " I guess the assumption is that you don't need them (they're already compiled into the Orchard.Core.dll) so it saves space and makes it more approachable to just bundle the views. Downloading 'as zip' from orchardproject.net also seems to miss off the bulk of the non-view code. If you download 'the source', however you get the logic for the models etc which might make it easier for you to get to grips with what's going on, or you can go the whole hog and take out a source code enlistment"

Is this correct as you see it, too?  Is there another way to modify controllers without having to download the source?

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I can't seem to find this quote on that SO page. I'm not sure what it's referring to. What is already compiled into Orchard.Core.dll? I'm assuming it's referring to the C# files inside of Core. In that case, yes, it is correct that this code is not in the WebPI package and you need the full source code package if you need to look at those files. It is not true of any of the other modules though, that are deployed as source code and dynamically compiled.

Rule of thumbs: the WebPI package is like an executable; it's ready to be deployed and run. For everything else, just get the full source code.