How do i Localize Taxonomy Field

Topics: General, Localization, Writing modules
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

How do i Localize Taxonomy Field?

i need Alias for each term according to installed culture

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Has anyone figured this out? Since "Term" is not a content type, the "Localization" part cannot be attached to it...

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

It doesn't have to be a content part (that would actually not work), it has to be a content type, and it is.

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Sorry Bertrand, i meant "content type".

I can "Add Part" - "Localization"  to the "Content Type - Taxonomy", but that only allows to localize the Taxonomy itself, not the "Terms" that belong to it.

Let's say i have a taxonomy named "Category" and it has terms "General" and "Specific". I can localize the taxonomy to french "Catégorie", but i would have to add new terms to the "Catégorie" ("généraux", "spécifiques")

Now i can add "Taxonomy field" to a "Content Type - Blog Post", but i can select either "Category" or "Catégorie".

Then the en-US blog post would have a "Category" taxonomy selected, but fr-FR translation of that blog post does not allow me to choose "Catégorie", nor does it have any mapping between terms "General" and "généraux"...

Correct me if i am wrong, but the way i see it, taxonomies are currently not properly localizable...

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Figured it out.

Bertrand was probably meaning this:

When i added "Category" Taxonomy,  "Category Term" Content Type appeared and then i was able to attach "Localization" to it...

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Any means that we can add localization to term part not to the (( just created Term which is content item )) coz its making no sense to add localization to every term added after adding it then go and translate it I hope you got me 

I mean look at Drupal they add specific module named taxonomy translation this module can add localization to taxonomy and its terms with out creating new term by dropping locales in different table named locale 

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Has anybody tested the point presented before: adding the localization part to any new xxx Term created ? how to create the localized versions ?

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Any suggestions? I am in the same situation...

Jan 3 at 5:48 AM
Hi all,
I don't think it's necessary to add the localization part automatically to each term content type. And it's not that hard to just add it when you need it.
I do have some other questions about using the taxonomies together with localization:

What is the best way to use the translations?
Let's say I have a product with a category (2 level) term. I made the product and the category localizable. I translated each taxonomy, I also translated each product. The product still shows the selection of the original language. How do I attach the translated products to the translated taxonomies?

How to display the translations in a menu widget?
So I have a navigation menu that displays the second level categories at the left side of my screen. So for example, my first level is interiors, my second levels are chairs, tables. My first level "interiors" is the root for this navigation menu.
When displaying the navigation in the second language, it's empty. What should be changed or what selection should I make? I don't have any visual reference to my translated terms?
Jan 25 at 11:21 AM