Shielding admin features from editors in the dashboard

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard
Jul 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Hey everyone,

I've created an editor user for my orchard site.

I've also created a custom admin menu.

How can I accomplish that this editor user sees only that custom menu in the dashboard and nothing else?

Borrie

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM

You can't. By setting permissions carefully you'll be able to remove most menu entries for those users, but any menu item that doesn't explicitly check for permissions will appear no matter what. I don't think you can remove the "new" menu or the "dashboard" link. A better and simpler option for you may be to deny dashboard access completely to the editor role (I'm assuming you meant role and not user up there, as permissions only apply to roles, never to users) and to expose your features through your own custom route and controllers. Another option may be to use the new features in Orchard 1.5 (custom forms, content permissions, etc.).

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Bertand,

When do you think 1.5 will be released?

Borrie

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Release candidate is already available. The final version should be very soon.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Ok, I'll wait for the final version then, I'm just publishing to azure website now, exciting times! :)

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Betrand,

I've just upgraded to 1.5, can you explain the content permissions a bit and where it can be found?

Borrie

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Create a custom form and allow the anonymous user to access it. See http://www.davidhayden.me/blog/custom-forms-in-orchard-cms-and-anonymous-users-permission

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

thanks!