Best practice for orchard website changes and new development ( database changes and code changes)

Topics: Administration
Jul 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Hi 

Please can you guys please share which ways are you handling the changes you do on orchard website ( databases and code changes ) . 

What i'am actually doing is.

using svn for source code . 

and everytime i need to add a new developpement or create a custom module . i do i db backup from the prod server and then i restore it locally and then i start the work . after that when everything is set i do a backup from the dev and i restore it to the prod and deploy the new version . 

I found this painful is there a simpler way to handle this.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2012 at 6:44 AM

I would not deploy the DB from dev to prod. There is clearly a need for a content deployment workflow story in Orchard, probably built around the import/export feature that we already have.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Yes, there is! The problem of synchronizing code and content on dev/stage/prod environments has been a major pain point in our development of http://marinas.info and we have no real solution yet, either. For now, we simply don't move content around between the different environments - if we need content on Prod that we already have on Stage we edit it manually so as not to copy the db the "wrong" way.
--

2012/7/8 bertrandleroy <notifications@codeplex.com>

I would not deploy the DB from dev to prod. There is clearly a need for a content deployment workflow story in Orchard, probably built around the import/export feature that we already have.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com