Taxonomy module does not seem to be working correctly

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Jul 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM

As I understand the Taxonomy module is needed to have Categories. For example I want to have /Politics, /Liberal Media etc - maybe 4 or 5 total. I watched BLeroy's video on on using the taxo module but that version s about 1 yer old and there are some differences.

When I create a Taxo with Title of Section and Menu Text of Politics it does not appear in the menu. Only once i add a term does it appear but then I end up Politics>US for example. I neither need nor want sub categories. I only need at most 4 or 5 main categories. Am i missing something when using taxos?

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Here is a video showing what happens when i use the taxo module. I create a new taxo and check show on main menu - it does not show up on the menu. What am i missing? 

http://riderdesign.net/p896381306/h3e884138#h3e884138

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2012 at 6:40 AM

What you're missing is that Politics is a taxonomy and not a term. What you need is a more general taxonomy, that you can call something like category, and then add Politics as a term. Then, promote that term to appear on the menu.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Edited Jul 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM

OK how do i promote the term Politics to be top level so it and Not Category appears in the menu?  I watched your video but there have been some changes to the module since the video was done. 

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2012 at 3:23 AM

What do you mean top-level? If it's right under the taxonomy, it is top-level by any definition of the term that I understand... I don't think any changes that may have happened since the video are relevant to this discussion. If you;re just talking about the menu, what you need to do is add the *term* to the menu, not the taxonomy. Makes sense?

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:09 AM

When I create a new taxonomy say Category to use your example and I check show on main menu I expect it to show on the main menu next to Home. But it does not until i add a term say Politics in this case. So then I have Category>Politics - Politics coming off Category when all i want is just to have Politics in the menu. There is no option add the Term to the Menu. Obviously taxonomies within the confines of Orchard and I are not clicking.

So how then do i add the term to the menu?  

I hope the following image is illustrative:

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Add the menu part to the term type.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Thank you. Now I have Politics, Media etc in the menu. However the urls look like /Contents/Item/Display/247. How do I fix it so it has user friendly urls such as /Politics. 

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM

That's odd. Do your terms have the autoroute part?

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

OK got it working properly - added autoroute so now the urls are user friendly. Thank you.