Orchard painfully slow in GoDaddy

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Jun 28, 2012 at 4:16 AM

I just got Orchard up and running in GoDaddy, but it is PAINFULLY slow.  The initial launch of the site timed out initially, but when I refreshed the page it eventually got everything running.  However, each page took around 7s to load.  When I logged in and went to the Dashboard, every page took nearly 30s to load.  Once loaded they were much quicker, but they still took anywhere from 4-12s to navigate between the menu items.

I have not experienced this with any other CMS I have tried on GoDaddy.  Does anyone have any ideas why Orchard is so slow and what can be done to speed it up?

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Switch provider comes to mind.

But for the rest : are you using sql server or the sql ce?

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Yes, let's face it: you get what you pay for, and GoDaddy is cheap in every meaning of the word. I've never seen a satisfied Orchard customer of GoDaddy, but I've seen plenty of unhappy ones.

Switch to a decent hosting company and it will fly.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

GoDaddy is fine.  I have used other CMS solutions in GoDaddy without issues.  If these are the kind of replies this community gives I think the solution here is to just use a better CMS.

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Did you try Sql Server.

Have you enabled the Cache module ?

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

What certificate from GoDaddy are u using?, beacuse me myself use https certificate from GoDaddy and i don´t have nearly as bad response time.. The initiall request to the site is kind of slow like 4-7 sec maybe but when i have loaded the homepage all other pages are rendering very fast. The problem u are suffering from are maybe something else then GoDaddy?

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

The account uses SQL 2008 R2, I don't know if caching was enabled and I don't have any SSL certificates installed.

I tried out Orchard on DiscountASP and 1&1 and it's just as slow on those too.  Looks like this CMS has a ways to go yet.  I'm dropping this CMS and will re-evaluate it in another 6 months.

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2012 at 6:18 AM

No, really, GoDaddy is not fine. I would try to use a decent hosting company first, but you are very welcome to use a "better CMS". This CMS is lightning-fast on Arvixe Business, GearHost or Azure.