Separate Admin from Front End

Topics: Installing Orchard
Jun 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM

From what I understand, multi-tenancy means you can run multiple sites from a single installation of Orchard on a single server.

What I would like to do is install Orchard on two different servers, one for administering the site, the other for public consumption.  They would both serve the same site but the admin site would be exposed on an intranet only. Naturally they would both access the same database but the sites would need to run on two completely different servers.  

One of the goals would be to remove the admin functionality from the public facing site.  I believe I can accomplish this by removing routes on the public site.

Has anyone set this up and / or have any advice for me? 

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:41 AM

>One of the goals would be to remove the admin functionality from the public facing site.  I believe I can accomplish this by removing routes on the public site.

What would that achieve?

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM

The goal is to remove all admin functionality from the public facing website.  Ideally this would mean the server running the public website would need just read-only access to the database.  

In addition, this could open the possibility of exposing the admin site on an intranet with an existing Active Directory and using Windows Integrated Authentication for access.  

Obviously there is going to be some level of work to make Orchard do this, I was curious if anyone had done this and if there were any "gotchas" I should be watching for. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I have the exact same scenario. Did you found any solution or workaround fot it? Would you mind sharing that please?

I would appreciate it very much.

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I suppose you could have two Orchard instances and use one for admin only, the other for front-end only, by blocking the routes in web.config. The admin will still be there technically but it will be unreachable.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM

You mean have them both working off the same database?  That might achieve the goal. 

A similar requirement that comes up with enterprise systems is the ability to make a range of modifications in a staging environment and then push all the modifications in a single publish.  I am not sure if / how Orchard supports this scenario.

Ideally the only place to make modifications would be in the staging environment leaving the public site for read-only access.

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Yes.

Content deployment is one of the features under consideration for 1.7. For the moment you have to rely on import/export.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Excellent.  We are currently re-evaluating Orchard so this is good news.  @Cyberdude, if we find a good solution for the original problem posted here I will reply to this thread.