Orchard as LMS

Topics: General
Jun 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Can I implement Orchard as LMS for departmental training ? Are there modules for quizzes/question bank. This is non-academic training. To start with we have a bunch of PPT /  a couple of videos and some external training.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Aboslutely: http://preview2.sfmsociety.com (you can create a test account if you like and try out the Trainings, Exams & Simulations).
The Elearning module is a custom module that features Courses, Questions, Answers and Certificates.
Each answer can have a weight and be indicated as correct or incorrect. A course can be graded using either a threshold of correct answers or total score.
Learners can earn points and buy credits in order to get access tokens (which are keys to the individual courses).
There's a controller that runs course sessions.
Each page within a course is a regular content type that at least has a CoursePagePart attached. That means each page is fully customizable.

Although this release is specific to SFM, we're planning on releasing a more generic base edition on which more specific LMS' can be built. Let me know if you need more specifics.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Thank you sfmskywalker for the quick response. The site is not in English.

The ELearning module sounds good. I am looking forward to the generic base edition. Is there a time line for the release ? Also if the SFM release is available, I would like to check it out. We probably do not need the points-credit-token system as this will be used by a department of about 200  for mandatory training that can be extended to a complete division of about 300-500 users. Reporting is a key component but I can build my reports and add these to the system.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM

You're welcome.

Yes, the site still needs to be translated into English. Until then you may be able to have Google Chrome auto-translate it for you.
The Elearning module is something we are looking to release somewhere at the end of this year, but there are no hard dates right now.
I could give you a small demo if you want to get a feel for the possibilities. Just ping me at Skype: sfmskywalker.

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I'm interested too. There does not seem to be one open source ASP.NET / MVC LMS out there. There's a huge gap in the market for sure. Might be forced to use Moodle PHP5 & MySQL - Oh can't wait, I can feel the contents of my stomach rising already.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM
Hi Sipke,

The link http://preview2.sfmsociety.com is no longer active.
May I know where can I find the Elearning module for Orchard?

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:14 PM
Unfortunately we don't have it yet out there. It's still on the roadmap, but with lower priority based on demand.