Themes and Modules on Azure... disappeared!

Topics: Troubleshooting
Jun 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Well I am dead confused about this one. One minute everything is working a treat, the next... my custom themes and modules have disappeared! Apart from FeauturedItemSlider all my other installed modules are gone and the theme has defaulted to SafeMode.

The site is running Orchard 1.4.1 on azure with multi-tenancy. The default site and the tenant are both still there. Connectivity to the storage account and the db are still ok too.

Apart from having been hacked (how  fast will I get cracking on getting SSL on the sign-on page now!) or little green men from outer space I am not sure what to think.

I am about to upload the missing modules and themes again because there is literally not a trace of them on the server.

Thoughts anyone?

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM

If I remember well, for azure you need to deploy all packages in the azure using the initial azure deployment package.

If you add modules or themes later, they will be physically bound to your azure instance : if you have multiple instances (and you certainly have), only the virtual machine you used to add your module will have the physical files. And then, if your virtual machines are recycled or swtiched, modules and themes manually added will disapear.

It's explained in documentation for azure deployments

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Think you're right on the money there, even though I'm only just running one instance. I actually remember reading this now, but since forgotten. Conspiracy theory out the window.

I´ll be doing some packaging today.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

As styx said, azure instances can be refreshed anytime then you would lose all the content from the filesystem. Even with one instance.

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2012 at 6:00 AM

This just changed today.