How update Orchard CMS site сontent via ftp?

Topics: Administration, General
May 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I have requirements: virtual directory on IIS 6, no access to database, allowed content updating only via ftp protocol(denied updating via http protocol).

Orchard CMS and SQL Compact are a good solution for a site on iis without access to database.

But I don't know any way how regularly update the content of the site via ftp.

Coordinator
May 29, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Find a better hosting company?

Developer
May 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Those are strange requirements, why do you want to only update via FTP? Why don't you want to use a DB? (SQL Server Compact is a DB and I think it also needs to have SQL Server installed to run, but I'm not sure on that.)

I don't think Orchard (or any other CMS out there) can meet these special requirements.

May 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM

SQL Server is installed, by I have no access to the database.

A customer specified so strange requirements and I have no opportunity to change anything.

Coordinator
May 30, 2012 at 6:58 AM

What do they mean by "no access to DB". Surely the application must have access to it?

May 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Edited May 30, 2012 at 7:53 AM

The requirements of the organization don't allow access to DB on MS SQL Server. But It's no problem, because I can use SQL Compact DB. The main problem is updating via FTP. 

May be it is possible to deploy site on iis on my local machine and synchronize file system and database changes via ftp?

Coordinator
May 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM

That won't be an issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to face other difficulties down the line with such constraints.

May 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The following Orchard documentation should help -

http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Upgrading-a-site-to-a-new-version-of-Orchard

Follow the steps in the section titled 'Upgrading an Orchard Site In-Place'.

Adding App_offline.htm will effectively take the Orchard application offline - any browser request will simply get the contents of App_offline.htm.

This will give you time to ftp all the new files to the website - then deleting App_offline.htm will restart Orchard.

Of course you should take a copy of App_Data and test the databases and settings with a local install of the new version Orchard first to be sure you will not run into any problems upgrading - note the instruction on deleting App_Data/Dependencies.

Other problems you may encounter will be to do with write permissions on various directories, App_Data, Media, Modules & Themes - the latter two to install from the Gallery, but you can download the .nupkg files locally and unzip and then ftp the contents to your website.