Using Orchard as the basis of a web application

Topics: Customizing Orchard
May 18, 2012 at 5:18 AM

I'm building a web site with a fairly heavy web application component to it - the site will be the basis of an online service for professionals.

I'm thinking of using Orchard to allow administrators of the site to edit their own content, etc. However, when it comes to building the actual application I have a few questions around integration with Orchard.

1. My user registration requirements are fairly substantial. There is a lot of information to collect from the user before they can be registered and start using the service. I am fairly certain that I need to build a custom registration page. Is this possible?

2. Would I need to store user information in the Orchard database? I'm figuring I'll have my own (probably separate) database for the actual application. Also, I'd prefer usernames to be email addresses - is this supported?

3. For the actual application itself, does this need to be built as an Orchard module, or can this be a separate MVC project? How would I go about integrating a separate project with Orchard? Can I share authentication between the two?

Thanks for any help...