This project is read-only.

The resource cannot be found.

Topics: Troubleshooting
May 6, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I keep getting "The resource cannot be found."  I have come upon it in different ways at various times.

The latest is that I just unpublished a piece of content and then I republished it.  Then, I clicked on the home link at the upper left to view the home page.  I got "The resouce cannot be found."

Now, I simply cannot view the homepage.  I get "The resource cannot be found."

This installation is from Web Installer.  I'm using WebMatrix, IIS Express, and  SQL Server (I did a migration, which worked with no problems).  The DataConnectionString in Settings.txt looks correct and I'm able to connect the SQL Server using SQL Server Management Studio with no problems.

I had the same problem yesterday when I tried to migrate to 1.4.1 from 1.4.  In that case, the migration from SQL CE to the full blown SQL Server resulted in "The resource cannot be found."  So, I switched back to 1.4.  And all was well, until now when I did an unpublish and publish of a piece of content.

May 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM

I can't reproduce this. Are there any more details you can give about exactly what you did?

May 16, 2012 at 4:03 AM

I think I have a repro.  I deleted the only "home page" content.  Not a smart thing for me to do, but would be good to have a friendlier error.

May 16, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Well yes, you deleted a page so of course it's giving you a 404 when you try to reach it. It hardly gets more accurate than that. Not sure what you're expecting.

May 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM

In hindsight, yes, I agree.  But, it was a little disconcerting to figure out, because, I really don't remember how "Set as Home Page" got unchecked in the first place for the page that had originally been set as my home page.  I guess I would have preferred an error like, "You don't have any content pages set as a homepage."