Content versioning

Topics: General
May 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Is it already possible to do versioning of content so that a new version gets published and an admin doesn't like it he can set it back to a previous version?

If it is not available yet, I did not see something like that in a feature overview so I guess not, would it be hard to do? What would be the tables to keep in mind and in which way it would be best extended?

May 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM

There's already a version manager:

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Since Orchard 1.8 introduced a new data storage technique saving some of the content in the "infoset" document of content items instead of records, is this module compatible with Version 1.8? I am starting a new web project using Orchard 1.8 and would like to use this module.

Thanks in advance.
Jun 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM
It's most definitely not compatible, but not because of this (the storage implementation doesn't affect this) but because Orchard moved to the latest .NET and MVC version with 1.8. But this is fairly simple to fix.
Jun 30, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Re: "But this is fairly simple to fix.".

Does that mean on is on the way? ;-)

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Jul 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Thanks for the link.

However, it's to a pdf file and only offers partial insight, since the links to other post are not active in the pdf. A google of the title "Upgrading your module to be Orchard 1.8 compatible" of the original post only yeilds and which are pretty much stub posts and offer not information.

"So you've already upgraded your Orchard module to be compatible with the upcoming 1.8 version. Since your parts now use the infoset to store data you also removed some records. But how to migrate data from the old database tables, that are otherwise not needed and should be removed? Let's see."

"So what should I do with my module to make it 1.8 compatible? Although 1.8 is not yet here (1.7.2 just released) it's not too early to deal with this question, since without intervention your modules won't even compile with the latest (soon-to-be 1.8) Orchard source."

are pretty much useless.

For what it's worth as a Orchard newbie, I have found the sparse or incomplete documentation and in some cases just sloppy documentation somewhat frustrating; which does not encourage one to jump on board with Orchard, or eager to wade into trying to convert outdated modules.