Multi Tenancy 1000+ tenants

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General
Apr 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I'm working on a project that will have over 1000+ tenants (no joke) most of the sites will be low traffic a few will have moderate traffic.

I've read probably every thread on here about multi tenancy. From what I gather no one is running anywhere near this number of tenants.

I guess the big question is will it work?

I know it will need to be distributed across multiple servers but will it be possible to run every tenant on ever server? (I'm thinking memory foot print may be to big) I'd rather not have to split the tenants on to separate servers.

Could someone who is familiar with multi tenancy please outline that main bottle necks?

I know there was talk that it would be good to have a version that worked off one DB / set of tables, did anyone do any investigation around this? I'm not adverse to writing code.

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Best thing to do is actually to try it. I have never tested with more than 50 tenants. You could create a recipe with some sample data that will create a custom site, with a Sql Ce db. Then try to increase the number of tenants using this recipe to see how it evolves. Using the command line orchard.exe application might be easier.

Developer
Apr 25, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Hi!

I may have some info about the memory reqs: as far as I know, an Orchard site uses 250-300 MB memory, an every additional tenant uses another 5 MB. So it would be quite a huge amount...

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I think if its only a small amount of memory like 5-10MB then that is fine as 1000 separate sites would take a lot more than that. If it needs 5-10GB of memory then I should be able to get a server to handle that.

I have a new dev machine arriving in a month that will have a lot of memory so i'll give it a test.