Deploy Orchard 1.4 from VS 2010

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Apr 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Edited Apr 23, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I have started to like Orchard and am trying to use it for a website.  The first time I worked via WEB matrix and made changes and uploaded the code it all worked on the production environment.  This was Orchard 1.3

Now I like to work in VS 10 so this time:

1)  I downloaded the bits and opened the Solution in VS 2010 on my local machine

2) I am able to compile and build and make changes as I like

3)  I downloaded new modules and Themes and customized the website and it all works on my local just fine.

4)  I put the SQL database at the hosting company.  Is this case it is Arvixe.  I have other ASP.net projects hosted there and there are no issues

5)  Typically in VS 2010 I do a release build and then PUBLISH directly to the hosting company.  Or I "Build deployment package"  and copy the bits via FTP to the server.

6)  For this project the project builds and I can see it all fine on local.. BUT PUBLISH and "Build deployment package" result in a PUBLISH FAIL with no error messages.  

Here is the question.  Are there clear instructions anywhere on what needs to be done if we want to use VS 10 to Publish the project, which files to copy, what settings to check and how to create the package?  

I copied the entire Orchard.web project to the hoster... it was a big upload and I am sure all the files in individual BIN folders in Modules are not needed.  BUT I did it and it still fails.  

It gives me error "Could not load file or assembly 'log4net, Version=1.2.10.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1b44e1d426115821' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

What am I doing wrong?  The website is currently offline, But I need to have that up soon.  Please give me some guidance on the proper protocol to publish a 1.4 version from VS 2010.

Another variable is that I am on a 64 bit machine... does this matter?

Thanks

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Don't use VS's "Publish" functionality to publish your project. Use the msbuild script (or just use the "Click here to build.cmd" file that comes with the orchard source. Then copy the final output to your target web server. Check the orchard docs for more info. 

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2012 at 3:45 AM

The way I do it is that I build the deployment package from VS, then I deploy it using the IIS Management console. I'm also deploying to Arvixe.

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I'm using the publish functionality from VS and it works just fine.

Developer
Apr 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Hi!

You can make VS to create the publish package into a zip file (as Bertrand mentioned): right click on Orchard.Web - Properties - Package/Publish Web: check "Create deployment package as a zip file" and a browse a destination for it. You just have to copy it to the server and extract, it contains everything that is needed to run the site.

Btw when we've updated orchardproject.hu to 1.4, we've encountered an error similiar to this. If I recall correctly, deleting Orchard.Web/App_Data/Dependencies and a rebuid solved the problem.

May 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Thank you all for the response and suggestions.  For some reason I am not able to do this step via VS 2010.  It may have to do with the packages I have installed or the extensions I have on VS 10.

Anyways, I downloaded and created website in 1.4 via Web Matrix and published it live.  I have the dev environment now configured to create my custom Modules as needed in VS 10.  Then I create a package for that module and import it into my Dashboard for the website and push it to production...

A little round about BUT it works.  Any ideas when 1.4.1 will be released?

Thanks again

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Aiming for this week. We're ZBB.

May 5, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I've been using the VS Publish feature as well.  Is there something I should be aware of when using this feature?  I haven't seen any problems as of yet.