How to deploy finished Orchard site?

Topics: General
Apr 20, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Hey guys, I will be deploying an Orchard site fairly soon on Arvixe, and was wondering what the general procedure would be, namely – since project creation I’ve never played with the db connection string – so upon looking for it in webconfig, I couldn’t find it [no surprises there really];  however, this got me thinking - come deploy, what is the vest way to go about it? 

With a couple of sites I’ve played with in the past [std. ASP MVC], I would create the db with a populated script, make sure the connection string was ok, then use web deploy from there.  Do I have to do a fresh install of orchard on the server, then ftp my sites file versions across, along with replacing the recently created DB [making sure the name remains the same] with mine? Or, does this document still apply:

http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Building-and-deploying-Orchard-from-a-source-code-drop

Any pointers are really appreciated, thanks in advance – Cheers Jane

PS> I’m using VS2010 with SQL 2008 R2 by the way.

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I host on Arvixe myself, and what I do is that I build a deployment package from Visual Studio, and then I deploy that from the IIS Management console. Works flawlessly.

Your connection string is in app_data\sites\default\settings.txt.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Hey bertrandleroy, thanks for the reply, yeah, uploading proved to be smoother than anticipated.

How have you found Arvixe, and what measures have you undertaken to curb website loads i.e. Warmup / Keep alive modules etc. [other than having a popular website]. On average it takes 35 – 45 seconds for a load (unacceptable really, as the site is only going to get around 5 visitors a day). Perhaps a ping service? Anyhow thanks again, Jane

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Arvixe has been flawless for us. I haven't needed to use warmup. My sites have perfect perf, and I've never had such problems. I'm not on the cheapest of their options though, I pay $35/month and I host 3 sites under multi-tenancy.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Yeah, I think the 'cheapy' which we're using is the problem, I'll look into the dearer accounts -- think they're a must for orchard sites. Thanks for everything.