where on earth is the orchard.sln file or csproj file?

Topics: General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Apr 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM

according to the documentation,

there is supposed to be an sln file (or csproj file in older documentations) that we can use to open the orchard solution visual studio

see: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Manually-installing-Orchard-zip-file

"To run the site in Visual Studio, extract the full source code .zip file to a local folder. Launch Visual Studio and select File > Open > Project/Solution. Navigate to the folder where you extracted the .zip and open the folder named src. Select the Orchard.sln solution file."

neither of these files is present in the lastest release 1.4.

how can I open the solution in visual studio and have visual studio recognize it as an MVC application?

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I see now that this only applies to the source code download, not the release.

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM

why is this? why do I need to use the full source code if I want to open the project in visual studio?

I'm not going to be making any modules or anything crazy like that but I do want to be able to make changes to the project in visual studio. why doesn't the release come with a project to open in visual studio?!

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM

The Orchard.sln contains references to modules which are not available in the WebDeploy package. So it would be useless. There is nothing really so different otherwise in the source code version which could make you hate it so badly, why is that ?

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I don't want to open a solution with like 15 other projects just to open the project in orchard. I really think the regular project (non-source) should with a .cjsproj so you can open it in VS. I don't understand why this isn't done by default.

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

The regular project (non-source) one comes with a .csproj. And if you want to open a specific module, they also come with their own .csproj too.

PS: even the WebDeploy package comes with source code for modules as Orchard uses dynamic compilation. So the WebDeploy package is still source code, but with lesser noise and fewer modules.

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

what regualr project is this and where do I find it? I tried both Orchard.Web and the one in Web Matrix. Web Matrix allows me to open the project in visual studio from there, but doesn't have a csproj file for the Orchard web project. neither of them do.

I don't mind that these have the module sources, that's a good thing. I'm talking about the full orchard source, tests and all. I just want to open the regular web project in visual studio so I can edit it and work with it there.

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Open the Orchard.Web folder as a web site then. No need for a project file.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

thanks for that, I was under the assumption that orchard was a web application and therefore needed to be loaded with all the references and class files so it could be compiled. I know it uses dynamic compilation but I still though it needed to be opened as a web application (I'm a Sitefinity guy so my brain is locked in that mode lol)

still, I think it should be included for convenience for easily confused individuals such as myself :)

many thanks again

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Actually I think it would be a source of confusion, because of the dynamic compilation thing, if you don't have the whole source. If you want to compile Orchard from VS, you should get the full source code version.