Creating Import/Export methods for modules under "Settings" in recipe file?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Apr 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I'm very familiar with import and exporting content types and parts and how to extend modules to leverage the import/export capability of the Import/Export module.  I am however baffled by the <Settings> area of the recipe files.

<Settings>
    <SiteSettingsPart PageTitleSeparator=" - " SiteName="My Site" SuperUser="admin" SiteCulture="en-US" PageSize="6" BaseUrl="http://myurl.com/" />
    <CommentSettingsPart ModerateComments="true" EnableSpamProtection="false" />
    <SmtpSettingsPart Address="test@corecomps.com" Host="smtp.gmail.com" Port="587" EnableSsl="true" RequireCredentials="true" UserName="fake@mydomain.com" Password="gsdrye5ye5ye5" />
    <WarmupSettingsPart Urls="/&#xD;&#xA;/passion" Scheduled="true" Delay="90" OnPublish="true" />
  </Settings>

I tried to take one example from what exports today when I click "Site Settings"...specially the WarmupSettingsPart and try to figure out what makes it generate in the Export and I'm sorry to say that I came up empty handed.This is the closest I came... finding the method that generates the XML:
        private XElement ExportSiteSettings() {
            var settings = new XElement("Settings");
            var hasSetting = false;

foreach (var sitePart in _orchardServices.WorkContext.CurrentSite.ContentItem.Parts) {
                var setting = new XElement(sitePart.PartDefinition.Name);

foreach (var property in sitePart.GetType().GetProperties()) {
                    var propertyType = property.PropertyType;
                    // Supported types (we also know they are not indexed properties).
                    if (propertyType == typeof(string) || propertyType == typeof(bool) || propertyType == typeof(int)) {
                        // Exclude read-only properties.
                        if (property.GetSetMethod() != null) {
                            setting.SetAttributeValue(property.Name, property.GetValue(sitePart, null));
                            hasSetting = true;
                        }
                    }
                }

if (hasSetting) {
                    settings.Add(setting);
                    hasSetting = false;
                }
            }

return settings;
       }

The key appears to be all items that are in the "_orchardServices.WorkContext.CurrentSite.ContentItem.Parts".
Questions:
1. What Identifies when an item finds it way into "CurrentSite"? The only thing I can find is this: Filters.Add(new ActivatingFilter("Site")); -> WarmupSettingsPartHandler.cs. Can this be done for anything (like UserRoles?)
2. Once exported, how does it import?
Again, the import/export for normal types is easy for me to understand but for these global types, it appears to be a more advanced feature.
Thanks for your assistance!
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Site settings are just a content item. The only thing global about it is that there is only one. As such, it has parts, that import and export like regular parts. That is all.