Orchard API Reference

Topics: General, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Hello all! )

Is there any Orchard API Reference available?

There are a lot of examples of good structured api references with examples of usage and user comments:

JQuery Api - http://api.jquery.com/

PHP - http://www.php.net/manual/en/

Unfortunately I can't find similar documentation for Orchard.

I think it is the main reason I can't start develop web-sites with Orchard. It is very hard to learn Orchard without it.

I don't want to read long and boring guides. I just need structured Orchard API Reference (with default modules) including code samples.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM

There is no such document that i'm aware of. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Unfortunately there is none at the moment. I think the best way to learn Orchard is to read the docs, find the few tutorials available (there is one pretty complete one from sfmskywalker) and look at how things are implemented in other modules. Some common API methods have comments (guess who has written them ;-)).

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Thank you all for quick responses :)

Yep... There are some tutorials on the site.

IMHO this is not enough to be Orchard popular among developers. There must be good structured documentation with 100% code coverage.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Edited Apr 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

@arrayka Achieving 100% code coverage with docs is neither really necessary, nor doable at the moment. 

But I agree that good documentation describing the common extension points and components needs to be done and will surely be done as times goes by. There are lots of things in Orchard you wouldn't ever need to touch and if you think you'd need to, which usually means having a very specific scenario - it's better to ask then going through tons of docs pages. In most cases you'll end up with a simpler solution - it's something that generic docs won't provide.

Second thing is that well-written code should describe itself. And Orchard code is extremely well-written. Docs give a starting point. The rest is up to developer and a VS debugger;)

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:32 AM

"IMHO this is not enough to be Orchard popular among developers. There must be good structured documentation with 100% code coverage."

Sure, go for it! Write it.

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I've been waiting for you, Luke this response :)

I really want to do it :) But I'm newbie in Orchard, so I'll help you ASAP

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Fantastic :) We can use the help.