Difficulty getting custom modules to work.

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Apr 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I'm reading the documentation and doing the walkthroughs and still haven't issues getting these custom modules to work.

I am a bit frustrated with the large learning curve with Orchard/MVC development. So much to the point that I'm about to scrap the whole project and use something else. In the time I've taken to try to write one page I could have written an entire site.

Here's what I'm attempting to do:

• Custom module that displays records from a new table
  • Route-able page to display this module
  • Ability for authenticated users to click a button to mark it as read so it doesn't get displayed again.
  • (I need the ability to populate this new table from an outside service, using SQL Server CE)

Another Custom Module (similar to the one above):

• Route-able page to display records from a new table.
  • Ability for authenticated users to click a button to mark it as added or mark it as bad.
  • Ability to do filtering on results (alpha only records, numberic only records, # of characters, etc)
  • Ability to sort paged results (by date added, by last updated date, by name, etc)
  • Ability to change the # of records displayed per page
  • Ability to mark all as added.
  • Admin ability to add multiple records (excel upload or copy/paste sheet page, etc)

Would anyone like to work along with me to create these modules and help me to understand how this works?

In the meantime I'm going to continue reading through the documentation and attempting the walkthroughs.

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Instead of a separate service I'd like to create a Task by implementing IScheduledTaskManager. How do you manage the schedule?

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM

When you call CreateTask on that interface, one of the parameters is the time at which it should execute.