Hungarian Orchard community site just opened

Topics: Announcements
Developer
Mar 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Edited Mar 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

It was a longer project than we thought it will be, but the Orchard Hungary Team is proud to announce the opening of the Orchard Hungary community site.

Let us share the experiences we had when developing the website.

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Congratulations.

The source control setup seems weird though: how do you get updates? What I usually do is configure two source on Tortoise. One points to CodePlex (but you only pull from there), the other to a private repo. Developers only need to point to the private. But when you want to update, you just update from CodePlex, merge and push to your private. Of course, it's slightly more complex if you want to make changes to subrepos, but that still works.

Developer
Mar 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Edited Mar 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Thanks!

We have 3 subrepos at the moment. The way we apply updates (like 1.4) is that we download the source and copy-paste it into our repository.

Developer
Mar 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Thank you!

It's just as Wolf described, the advantage here is the simplicity of the management of the whole code base in one main repo. This way Orchard updates can happen centrally (meaning one dev updates and everyone sees the result). Of course just overwriting the source files leaves removed files intact, but since they're removed also from the projects, this is not an issues at the moment (and eventually we could do clean updates like advised in the docs: copying App_Data, Media, custom modules and themes to a new location with a clean source).

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Edited Mar 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yes, well, I just wanted to mention it as this is pretty much what distributed source control is great for. Thanks a lot for sharing this. By the way, I posted a link to this from orchardproject.net.

Developer
Mar 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Thanks, and for the link too!