Package problem compile;package

Topics: Core, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Mar 26, 2012 at 6:34 AM

I'm trying to deploy my new Orchard site by creating a deployment package with the command: compile;package.

I see it creates a packages and it gives me 0 errors but unfortunately some core packages are not included in the package zip result. For example the the Orchard.Lists module does not exist in the module folder? Has anybody else experienced this also and how can i fix this?

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2012 at 7:16 AM

If you have visual studio, try to create the package from there.

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:05 AM

You mean webdeploy? Will this result in the same package as if you use the command compile:package?

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Well, you don't want it to be the same ;) It will give you a complete package. That's how I deploy my sites.

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Ok nice to know but which option do you use when deploying?:

- Only files needed to run this application
- All files in this project.
- All files in this project folder.

Probably you are using "All files in this project folder." because that's the default in the Orchard solution. But won't the package become to big because it included a lot unnecessary files?

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Ah, I should not have said "deploy". I build the package from VS, but then I deploy it from the IIS console, which gives me exactly the granularity I need, down to the file level.

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Yes but is the package you create by visual studio not the same as deploying directly from visual studio in terms of the created files in the package?

I know there's a lot of confusion about deploying Orchard sites so i hope i can find the best way to do this. Normally we deploy sites with webdeploy in Visual studio but i never hear from Orchard developers they are doing that also.

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 7:13 AM

No, it doesn't give you the same fine-grained control as far as I know. But I may be wrong. I'm just telling you how I do it.