Misc Feature Team (1.5)

Topics: Announcements, Core
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM

This is the thread for the misc feature team, where one can volunteer to do work and discuss design. This feature team covers small and medium-sized items that did not fit well in other teams. One can get involved in any of these smaller tasks.

Strawman design proposal (the order of features here reflects votes, from most voted to least voted):

1. MVC 4 Compat
    Sébastien has this covered 
  2. Front-end editing of content and widgets
    when clicking on the edit button from the front end for a widget or item, instead of navigating to the admin UI, the user would be presented with the editor for the content item as an overlay of the current page. If the edition is cancelled, the overlay disappears. If the content is published, the page gets refreshed to the new version (the overlay disappears).
  3. Media Management beyond images
    The media admin and media picker should be opened to take other media types than images, based on providers. We could ship a video provider and an attached document provider (that would render on the front end as a link to download the document).
  4. Image Resizing, thumbnails, cropping
    Thumbnail versions could be generated on the fly (based on a new configuration setting that would specify size and maybe quality) the first time it is requested through a new thumbnail provider interface. Thumbnail files would be stored in the file system next to the actual files, and would not appear as separate media.
    We would ship with image thumbnails providers (based on ImageResizer.net?) but one could build for example a thumbnail provider for videos.
    Additionally, UI in the media section could enable the administrator to resize or crop images from the browser, to generate a new file or overwrite the existing one. Modifying the image would invalidate (destroy) the associated thumbnail if it exists. 
  5. Review Media Picker UX
    The media picker is confusing to some users. We should study how, test and implement alternative designs that provide a better experience. 
  6. Real-time Search in admin
    The availability of this feature could depend on the presence of an enabled search implementation. If and index is available, typing text in the text filter in admin screens would result in immediate filtering of the list. 
  7. User-targeted notifications
    TBD 
  8. Front-end widget management
    This feature would enable the site administrator to move, create and delete widgets visually from the front-end, using drag and drop gestures.  The feature needs to take layers into account, for example by having a list of layers as a docked overlay that enables layers to be switched on and off.
  9. Integration of site CSS into TinyMCE
    TinyMCE is currently using a fixed stylesheet to render its design surface. It should instead use the site's stylesheet (the feature exists in TinyMCE). One difficulty is that more than one theme may be active on the site (do we call into theme providers to decide or do we provide UI to choose if more than one is active?). Another difficulty is that finding the stylesheet(s) to use within the active themes may be challenging. We may use a convention that we'll include a stylesheet with a specific path and name within the theme (for example, look for /styles/site.css), and a way to override it, for example in the theme manifest. 
  10. Configurable feature set for TinyMCE
    The set of TinyMCE features that we expose today is voluntarily minimalist. Many users would like to use more features or plug-ins such as table editing or code insertion. This feature would add a TinyMCE settings section where the administrator of the site could choose what features to enable.
  11. New default theme
    The theme machine, our current default theme, is a great starting point for theme developers but it's not necessarily giving a high quality, very polished feel to the initial experience. This new default theme would feature a modern design (possibly from an existing open source theme from another platform or an original design) and current technology (HTML5/modernizr, css 3 media selectors, etc.) 
Developer
Mar 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I'd like to implement number 2 and 11 to start with, and if that goes well (and if no one else beats me to it) I'd like to help with 3, 4, 8, 9 and 10 as well.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I'd like to work on 9 & 10. Can use the TinyMCEDeluxe module as a starting point for both. I'm interested in working on others too but for now I won't commit to anything else. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Skywalker, I would like to help you with 11 if you don't mind, I think I can provide value in my contribution when it comes to design (css, HTML5, etc..)
Also, maybe I could work on 5. Depending, on how it goes, maybe I can take on more..

Developer
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM

@phusion Sure, please go ahead and do it. There's enough other stuff for me to work on. I suggest you take the lead with 11 and let me know if you need assistance.

Developer
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:24 AM

@BertrandLeRoy this is the first time I participate in a feature team, and was wondering if there is any protocol to follow. Can I simply create a fork and get down to it?

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

@sfmskywalker will do. Thanks and I will be in touch.
I have the same question though for @BertrandLeRoy, it will be my first time as well. I wonder if there's some documentation or procedure written somewhere.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I am also curious about what the process is. 

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Thanks all for offering to contribute. Yes, please create a fork and start working off of that. We also have a Trello board to track work items:

https://trello.com/board/current-iteration/4e701edeab430ba869017d2a

Please register on Trello if you're not already a member (it's free), and give me your alias so I can add you to the board.

Developer
Mar 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM

My Trello alias is: sipkeschoorstra

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Thanks. Invite sent.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM

mine is: chadchaya. thx

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Mine is gbiamby. 

Developer
Mar 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Edited Mar 18, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Working on 2: Frontend editing of content and widgets: We could enable it either using a feature or using a site setting. When using a site setting, I could extend the Contents and Widgets module to take into account this site setting and provide CSS hooks which some jquery can attach a click eventhandler to (which will invoke an overlay/dialog).

When implementing it as an OrchardFeature, it seems to become a bit more complicated: I could choose to create a new module and feature (or extend the current modules) that generates a new wrapper. This means that both the Content Control Wrapper and Widget Control Wrapper feature could be enabled as well as the new Extended Content/Widget Control Wrapper, potentially generating a nested wrapper (one wrapper with the current "edit" link, and another wrapper with an "edit" link that will invoke he overlay/dialog)

I think option 1 would make the most sense as it makes the implementation trivial, but I'd like to hear your take on this.

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2012 at 5:48 AM

I think the existing edit wrappers could be replaced by the new front-end edition stuff. Or we could retire the old feature for new installs. The migrations from older versions would still have it, but that's fine, we can tell people to disable it.

Trello invites sent for the both of you.

Developer
Mar 18, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Then if I understand correctly, the "Edit" button should appear at all times in admin mode, regardless of the feature being enabled or not. Clicking the "Edit" button will always show the dialog overlay instead of navigating to the backend. This would indeed make it more simple. However, isn't there a reason that the current "Edit" buttons have been turned off by default?

EDIT
I started off modifying the Core Content module, but will instead create a new module called Orchard.FrontEndEditing (any suggestions for a better name?). This module could provide both front end editing of widgets and content as well as front end management of widgets (providing drag & drop functionality).
That way, we can leave the current Content Wrapper / Widget Wrapper features as-is, instructing users to leave these features disabled

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Why not keep the existing functionality of the Content and Widget Control Wrapper modules; which (as it is right now) once enabled they add an Edit button on the front-end for authenticated users, the only difference is that the Edit button will have the functionality of editing "in-place" instead of navigating to the dashboard. As @sfmskywalker suggested, a site setting or feature will be needed to turn on/off the edit of front end feature.

This way, administrators, will always have the option of whether they want to allow users to edit in place, or navigate to the dashboard. Or perhaps, down the road, editing in place could be assigned to specific roles. ex: "Custom Author" can only Edit content on front end.

Developer
Mar 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

@phusion Yes, that was my initial thought as well. However, we can achieve the same thing using a new module. The thing is, I'd rather not have the Core modules take on a dependency on the jQuery module, which is required in order to display overlays.

The new module will create control wrappers for both content and widgets. This way, admins can enable whichever feature they prefer.

Developer
Mar 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I'm running into an issue here: I have succesfully implemented a dialog overlay that shows the content item editor fields, as well as any required styles and scripts that each shape template may require.

However, the TinyMCE editor causes an error when the required scripts are loaded via jQuery/Ajax (its ThemeManager returns 'undefined' when it's asked for the 'advanced' theme).

This could be solved easily by simply loading the content editor inside of an iframe instead using AJAX. The only disadvantage I can think of with that approach is that any overlay created by one of the editors will not be able to pop out of the iframe (although I have never seen a content part editor that popups an overlay). Luckily, the Media Picker launches in a new window, and will be able to float over the iframe.

I'll continue with the Iframe approach. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Developer
Mar 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, we could as well use a new window dialog just the way the media picker launches a new window. The only disadvantage is that I don't really like unstyled popup dialog windows.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM

The new default theme and general UX is something that I'd be very interested in working on. How do I get involved with this? :-)

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM

@ryandrewburnett, you can use this fork that we've created 4 misc features:

http://orchard.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/Phusion/miscfeatures

Developer
Apr 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Not sure where it sites in terms of the feature teams, but this is the location of inline editing https://orchardinlineediting.codeplex.com/

the status sits

1. 1 or 2 bugs implementing the simple inline stuff for text boxes.
2. Advanced editing for Content done
3. No tool tips yet - that will come ones No#1 is completed
4. I will look to fields next one simple editing is finished and eay to do.

Anyone wanting to help, fork and let me know if you need me to pull..

Nick

Developer
Apr 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM

1 other thing to note, I have got Widgets moving around on the UI, this will allow us to drag and drop only widgets between zones. The information is not persisted yet, but this feature as well as inline editing I think end users could be in for a treat :)

I will push to a repo once one of the bugs i am struggling with is fixed

FYI.. this is what I am using http://fluidproject.org/releases/1.4/demos/reorderer/layoutReorderer/demo.html

Nick

Developer
Apr 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I love the drag & drop of the widgets! I'm currently working on a dialog overlay for editing content items, although Bertrand mentioned that we need to pick one approach. We can have a quick look at it tomorrow, and for my part decide on what road to follow. In any case I'd like to join with improving the widget drag & drop, and perhaps enable some sort of floating or docked overlay from which the user can choose the current layer.

Developer
Apr 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Sound good, how far along have you come with a dialog editing box?

Developer
Apr 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

To the stage that it basically just works. I need to copy the exact behavior from the core content editor controller though, to support publishing (right now it just always publishes). Also, the styles registered by the part drivers shape templates are not being rendered, so I have yet to look into that.

I haven't setup a nice demo page like you did, but the fork is here: http://orchard.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/sfmskywalker/FrontEndEditingOfContentAndWidgets

The dialog editing box supports Content and Widget shapes

Developer
Apr 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM

My demo was, the default Orchard installation... thats it. :)

How are you handling the TinyMCE and CKEditors? Are you using whats currently built in to orchard? or are you using a 3rd party lib to deal with that?

Developer
Apr 4, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Still awesome :)

As a matter of fact, I let Orchard build the Editor shape as usual, and render the entire thing in my own view (@Display(Model)). The action of my controller is loaded via an iframe, which in turn is hosted by the dialog overlay (jQuery UI dialog). It's almost the same as simply loading the admin into an iframe, except for the surrounding layout.

Developer
Apr 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Hey Yall!!.. So I am looking at doing an Toolbar within Orchard, and need some ideas on structure. The Toolbar will appear very similar to the preview theme toolbar but deal with different stuff... The problem im having is with the structure of the toolbar. So far I have

- Manage Zones - this would deal with showing and hiding zone, maybe even adding widgets to a zone

- Layers - Create a layer for that page..

Anyone have some ideas? Would it help if I put a screenshot up?

Developer
Apr 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Sounds great! I guess the Zones could be displayed using a dropdown box.
With regards to adding widgets, this could be a palette of some sorts. Or maybe start simple and display them in a dropdownlist (or menu) as well. When the user selects a widget, will you show a floating overlay dialog popup? I got code for that ;)

I think the same could go for layers: have a dropdown list / menu that shows the available layers. Adjacent to that, I imagine there would a "create layer" button / link. When clicked, it shows up the same layer editor as in the dashboard, but in a dialog popup.

So the toolbar may look something like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Layers dropdown | create layer | | Widget picker |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would be the use for hiding / showing zones?

Looking forward to some demo's :)

Developer
Apr 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Sounds like we should we working on the same Module!!! - I was going to do this in the Portlets module ive been working on as its all around widgets (portlets in jquery land)

I was thinking that we could show a Crank or somethign like that on each zone as a tool bar per zone. Where as the toolbar up the top is for showing ones that currently arent visible....

Whatcha think?

Developer
Apr 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I think that sounds like a lot of fun! Not sure what a Crank is, but I imagine it's some sort of icon that, when clicked, performs some action? Or is it a gripper? If true, what kind of actions would you be able to do on a single zone? Add / Remove / Drag & Drop Widgets? That might be something. Yes indeed.

I'm curious on how you would go about determining what zones are *not* currently displayed on the page? Will you somehow monitor what Zones are being rendered, minus the zones as defined in the theme manifest? How would that even work? I'm sure it can be done. If shape tracing is possible, everything else is surely peanuts! (and obviously, nothing is impossible for the one who does not need to do it himself ;)

I might give a hand or two, as soon as I got that other thingy working! (inline content part editing)

Developer
Apr 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Actually finding out what zones are not populated is really easy. You need to implement a IResultFilter, and do something like this...

var zones = _widgetsService.GetZones(_orchardServices.WorkContext.CurrentTheme);

foreach (var zone in zones){
    var isPopulated = _workContextAccessor.GetContext(filterContext).Layout.Zones[zone] != null
}

Then you know which ones are not populated :)

I will push some stuff up in the next day... maybe show something wednesday.

Developer
Apr 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM

You see, that's why I didn't think of it myself: it was too dead easy! ;)
Excellent. Keep it up and see ya wednesday!

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Hi,

In order to take this feature to the next steps, I need one of you to step up and represent the rest of the team. Who would be willing to take that role? Your responsibility as team leader will be to report progress at the weekly steering committee meetings, either in written form or by showing up at the meeting.

Please also start using https://trello.com/board/feature-misc/4f989b79881ed5e05a482407 for task management on this feature team.

Thanks,
Bertrand

Developer
Apr 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I volunteer! Does this also mean I get to tell others that they should work harder and report to me, so I can report on wednesdays?

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM

:) Thanks.

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Here's an interesting post on the future of Drupal: http://buytaert.net/announcing-spark-authoring-improvements-for-drupal-7-and-drupal-8

In particular, they will be working on "Inline editing and drag-and-drop content layout tools ("true" WYSIWYG)". Yup, take that, Sébastien ;)

Developer
May 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I knew it!! The minute they got a sniff of my first demo of inline editing and protlets stuff they got scared...

Developer
May 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Edited May 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Nice! Orchard users will lick their fingers when they get inline editing and drag & drop. With respect to Sébastien's note on theme developers that completely take over rendering of a content type, we could probably provide easy to use functions to render parts of their view in order to be able to wrap around HTML (as is done with wrapper shapes). Although it's not as neat as auto-wrapping parts and fields (not by a long shot), but what do you think if a customized content item template like this:

@{
    // "Book" is a content type that consists of a TitlePart, AutoroutePart, BodyPart and ProductPart.
    // This razor template completely customizes the way this book is rendered.

var title = (string) Model.ContentItem.TitlePart.Title;
    var url = (string) Model.ContentItem.Autoroute.Path;
    var body = MvcHtmlString.Create((string) Model.ContentItem.BodyPart.Text);
    var price = (decimal) Model.ContentItem.ProductPart.Price;
}
<article class="content-item product">
    <header>
        <h1><a href="@Url.Content(url)">@title</a></h1>
    </header>
    <p>@body</p>
    <aside>@price.ToString("c")</aside>
    <footer>
        <a href="#">Buy!</a>
    </footer>
</article>

Would have to be turned into this to support inline editing:

@using Orchard.ContentManagement
@{
    // "Book" is a content type that consists of a TitlePart, AutoroutePart, BodyPart and ProductPart.
    // This razor template completely customizes the way this book is rendered.

var contentItem = (ContentItem) Model.ContentItem;
    var title = (string) Model.ContentItem.TitlePart.Title;
    var url = (string) Model.ContentItem.Autoroute.Path;
    var body = MvcHtmlString.Create((string) Model.ContentItem.BodyPart.Text);
    var price = (decimal) Model.ContentItem.ProductPart.Price;
}
<article class="content-item product">
    <header>
    @InlineEditor(<h1><a href="@Url.Content(url)">@title</a></h1>, contentItem, "RoutePart", "TitlePart")
    </header>
    @InlineEditor(<p>@body</p>, contentItem, "BodyPart")
    <aside>@InlineEditor(@price.ToString("c"), contentItem, "ProductPart")</aside>
    <footer>
        <a href="#">Buy!</a>
    </footer>
</article>

"InlineEditor" would be a method on the base view class, taking a first argument as a function delegate to some inline razor function, the content item for which to render inline editors, and a params string[] taking the names of the parts for which to render their editor shapes.

Would this be acceptable. Or not worth the trouble at all to support inline editing for customized content templates?

Did you notice Codeplex changed its looks? :)

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

@sipke: this is the solution I was talking about last week, that I wanted you to figure out. When logged, it would instrument the generated html (like Shape Tracing) by adding information on how to edit and update the content.

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Can we make it an overload of Display, to make it look a little less alien maybe?

Developer
May 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Excellent, then I'll continue and see if I can create a working prototype. Although I have to research further, my first thought is to have the InlineEditor method (or dynamic property like Display) to create a shape that will hold the specified html / razor function. That shape will then have a wrapper (like a ControlWrapper), and displayed using the Display property. Perhaps we should rename "InlineEditor" to "Editor", mimicking the Display property:

@Editor.Part(@<text><h1>@title</h1></text>, Model.ContentItem.TitlePart)
@Editor.Field(@<text>@categoryName</text>, Model.ContentItem.ProductPart.CategoryField)

From the top of your head, do you know if there is existing code I can look at that sets an arbitrary HTML string onto a shape?

Developer
May 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:

Can we make it an overload of Display, to make it look a little less alien maybe?

You don't like aliens then?
I guess that would be even better, yes.

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I *am* an alien, but people generally dislike me so I'm no reference. Making it a shape sounds like a great idea to me. Can't think of code in Orchard doing the inline mrkup thing.

Developer
May 2, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I knew it! :)

Ok, it may be just as easy to simply store the inline markup stuff as a property on a shape (created by the Display overloaded method) and render it using a template or a shape method.

May 6, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Edited May 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Hi All,

I just released my new TinyMce Settings Module to the gallery.  I still have a few things I would like to improve, but I believe it would be a very good starting point for #9 and 10.  

http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.EditorButtonPack/1.0

</shameless ad for my module>

Developer
May 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Edited May 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:

Overloading the Display shape/method works, but there's a slight disadvantage: You cannot dispatch a Razor template delegate (or any lambda expression for that matter) to a dynamically dispatched object without casting it to a delegate or expression tree type. So this code will cause a compilation error:

@*The following line will cause a compilation error: "Cannot use a lambda expression as an argument to a dynamically dispatched operation without first casting it to a delegate or expression tree type" *@
@Display(@<h1>@titlePart.Title</h1>, titlePart)

To fix that, I would have to:

a) Assign the lambda to a strongly typed local variable, or
b) Create a strongly typed method on the view (or an extension method) that takes a Razor template delegate, named something like "Editor"

Option a) would look like this:

@{
    Func<dynamic, HelperResult> title = @<h1>@titlePart.Title</h1>;
}

@Display(title, titlePart)

Option b) would look like this:

@Editor(@<h1>@titlePart.Title</h1>, titlePart)

Personally I prefer option b), as it not only supports inline Razor template delegates, it's more explicit as well (the intention is that the specified markup is "editable")

Option a) could be supported as well. In fact, the "Editor" method would be nothing more than a wrapper method that invokes the Display overloaded version.

Maybe someone has a better idea?

Coordinator
May 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

b looks fine to me but I still find the name "Editor" confusing. It's still about rendering most of the time.

Developer
May 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:

b looks fine to me but I still find the name "Editor" confusing. It's still about rendering most of the time.

That's true. But I'm afraid other names are probably just as confusing (and some even horrifying):

1. WrapDisplay
  2. Inline
  3. Render
  4. Display2
  5. EditableDisplay
  6. DisplayEditable
  7. StronglyTypedDisplay

"Render" might not be too bad, but the problem I have with that is that it almost means the same thing as "Display".

Perhaps this problem can be solved in another way with some sort of trick.
Or we can fix the compiler so we *can* dispatch a delegate to a dynamic type.

I'll give it more thought.

Coordinator
May 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

RenderPart? It would exclude fields but at least it's more specific?

Developer
May 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Oh good one! But we support fields as well. We could introduce both RenderPart and RenderField. Or, we could introduce a strongly typed property called Render with two methods: Render.Part and Render.Field (and Render.Shape for displaying shapes). Although the latter is probably a bit too wild, it would provide for a consistent api, no?

Coordinator
May 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Right. In fact, Render.Shape could be running the same code as Display. What do others think?

Coordinator
May 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Feature Team Leaders, please join us tomorrow at 1PM Pacific Time for a status report at https://join.microsoft.com/meet/sebros/TWFQ3LYH (Lync client required). If you can't join us, please leave us a note here giving status before the meeting.

Thanks,

Bertrand

Developer
May 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

hey sfmskywalker, have you pushed your latest changes?

Developer
May 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Yo Jetski5822. If I push the changes as is, you won't be able to build as they depend on changes made to the Orchard's core. If possible, we need to find a way around that. So let's chat!

Developer
May 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Hey guys - just set up an Orchard fork (for Core changes) and both work on that. What'd you think?

Developer
May 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Hi Piotr, that's what Jetski suggested as well. So I just created a fork here: http://orchard.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/sfmskywalker/InlineEditingCoreSupport. Thanks!

Developer
May 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Edited May 13, 2012 at 11:27 PM

@Sébastien in order to be able to render the editor of a specific field I had to make some minor changes to the Orchard.Framework project. Could you please review these changes and provide feedback on whether you think this is the right course of action, or provide alternative suggestions? The changes can be viewed at the following fork: http://orchard.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/sfmskywalker/InlineEditingCoreSupport

In summary: I need these changes is so that I can build the editor shape fir a specific content field.

Thanks!

Ps. f.y.c. I added comments at the sections where I made changes, prefixed with SIPKE:

Coordinator
May 31, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Take a look at this, it's the current prototype for inline editing in Drupal, with a video.
http://buytaert.net/spark-update-in-line-editing-in-drupal 

Developer
Jun 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Its a nice implementation, shame it wont work with Javascript off..

I also like that it displays the type of field.

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Why? Who cares that it doesn't work with javascript off?

Developer
Jun 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Edited Jun 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Maybe the Flintstones?;)

That Drupal thing is awesome...

Developer
Jun 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Well.. Bertrand is from the Flintstones era... :)

No JavaScript is good practice, and I (sometimes) care about it.

On Jun 5, 2012 11:32 AM, "pszmyd" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Maybe the Flintstones?;)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2012 at 5:40 AM

But we don't care about you :D

Developer
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM

You scar me deep Bertrand :(

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Edited Jun 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM

MVC 4 compat does this also covers: asynchronous action methods by supporting Task<ActionResult> return types?

Is there a page where we can track the progress of release date for future orchard releases? (1.5)
What is the ETA for version 1.5? 

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM

No it doesn't.

1.5 will be out after the current bug fixing period, probably in a few weeks.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM

@Bertrand

Is there already a contribution team started to add support for async controllers (or in MVC4 with Task<> return types)?
I'd like to help getting this feature built into Orchard.

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM

No there isn't. Good luck ;)

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM
BertrandLeRoy wrote:
  1. Image Resizing, thumbnails, cropping
    Thumbnail versions could be generated on the fly (based on a new configuration setting that would specify size and maybe quality) the first time it is requested through a new thumbnail provider interface. Thumbnail files would be stored in the file system next to the actual files, and would not appear as separate media.
    We would ship with image thumbnails providers (based on ImageResizer.net?) but one could build for example a thumbnail provider for videos.
    Additionally, UI in the media section could enable the administrator to resize or crop images from the browser, to generate a new file or overwrite the existing one. Modifying the image would invalidate (destroy) the associated thumbnail if it exists.

I'm keen for this feature... it doesn't appear that anyone is working on this at the moment, is this correct?

I'm keen to get involved and help out with this, whats the best way to move forward? I'll probably need some guidance to make sure the solution I create is acceptable.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I already have the design in mind. You can reach me on skype if you can talk, so I can explain how to do it. Then you could create another thread on this forum to expose the design and how to join efforts.

Developer
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Inline editing sample : http://nightly-v4.ckeditor.com/3427/samples/inlineall.html 

<div contenteditable="true" > ... </div>

With CKEditor 4 Beta : http://ckeditor.com/ckeditor-4-beta

Developer
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Very cool

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM, agriffard <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Inline editing sample : http://nightly-v4.ckeditor.com/3427/samples/inlineall.html

contenteditable="true" > ...

With CKEditor 4 Beta : http://ckeditor.com/ckeditor-4-beta

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2012 at 3:59 AM

I like!