Newbie Questions

Topics: General
Mar 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Hello, I am really new to Orchard and CMS in general. I have downloaded Orchard and Umbraco to evaluate for an upcoming project. I have the following initial questions (please excuse my ignorance):

1. How can I create my own forms? When submitted, I would like to handle them in my own code.
  2. How can I retrieve data from an external data source? Namely, I would like to to populate a list (using all the container features) from an external data.

Any help or pointer is appreciated.

Regards,

KH

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Edited Mar 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM

1. How can I create my own forms? When submitted, I would like to handle them in my own code. ---IS uSubmit SUITABLE TO U?
  2. How can I retrieve data from an external data source? Namely, I would like to to populate a list (using all the container features) from an external data.-----WCF (SEE BLOG) , OR JUST GO IT AS NORMAL MVC DO.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

There are a couple of options for forms.  One is to use one of the existing form modules available in the Orchard Gallery.  These generally come with source code and so you could always modify them to suit your needs if required.  Alternatively, you can write your own module - the Orchard site has some good documentation on this, as well as an excellent tutorial series here.  Orchard is just an MVC app, so if you're familiar with ASP.Net MVC, you'll be right at home implementing this.

As for the external data source, if you create a module, you can pull in the data and display it.  The approach to take would vary depending on what you're trying to do but one example is given here.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Thank you for your pointers! I appreciate your help.