Upgrade to 1.4 Issue with Recent Blog Posts Widget

Topics: Core, Installing Orchard
Mar 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

After successfully upgrading an existing site to 1.4 the Recent Blog Posts widget was not displaying on my site. I was getting the following error in my log:

2012-03-11 21:26:09,997 [26] Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator - RuntimeBinderException thrown from IContentPartDriver by Orchard.Blogs.Drivers.RecentBlogPostsPartDriver
Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.RuntimeBinderException: Cannot perform runtime binding on a null reference
   at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Object )
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.AddAlternates(Object shape, BuildShapeContext ctx) in C:\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:line 120
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.<>c__DisplayClass13.b__12(BuildShapeContext ctx) in C:\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:line 116
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentShapeResult.ApplyImplementation(BuildShapeContext context, String displayType) in C:\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentShapeResult.cs:line 37
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentShapeResult.Apply(BuildDisplayContext context) in C:\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentShapeResult.cs:line 21
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9(IContentPartDriver driver) in C:\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\Coordinators\ContentPartDriverCoordinator.cs:line 49
   at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in C:\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 19

The solution was simple enough, I just opened the widget and saved it - without making any changes - now it's working fine and the error is no longer being logged. I can repro it with a copy of my data if anyone on the core team wants me to give more detail.