First loading time

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Mar 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm very pleased to present this questions to you.
I'm developing website using Orchard CMS from version 1.2, Orchard CMS have already become a whole of my life.
But now, I'm thinking about leaving from Orchard, this is too sorrowful to me. That's why, I'm here to speak with you.
The problem I have is,
All the websites I've developed using Orchard takes 20-30 seconds for initial loading.
I thought it's some kind of performance stuff and tried below.

warmup module
removing the unnecessary assemblies

But the result was all the same.
I've reviewed all forums but had not any good answer except for the comment that it'll be better switching my job to PHP as .net have problems with assemble file.
But I don't want to leave from Orchard really.
Is this something that has no any solutions to resolve?
Anyone to help me?

Just before leaving from Orchard... :/

All the websites I've developed using Orchard takes 20-30 seconds for  loading home.
Mar 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Edited Mar 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Hi trust_dandyman,

Is the 20-30 seconds startup time also true for a fresh new install of Orchard 1.4 (with just the default recipe, no other modules installed)?
Because Orchard 1.4 has become really fast as compared to 1.3.

There can be many more reasons why your sites are slow, such as rogue third party modules, low memory on your server, a slow harddrive. Now it's true that PHP sites load faster than Orchard sites, but as soon as your pages are cached than it should be lightning fast.

Perhaps you could try tuning up your Cache duration to, say, 12 hours or more.

In any case, Orchard 1.4 is not nearly slow enough for it to be a valid reason to jump ships. Especially with all of the exciting new features (front-end features!) coming in the next release, so it must be something else that is causing the poor performance. Perhaps Orchard requires more power than PHP or WordPress, but then again, Orchard is quite a powerful platform :)

If you whish, I will be happy to try one of your slow sites on my webserver to see how it performs (after you have upgraded it to 1.4 of course).

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hi sfmskywalker,

Thanks for your response.
I'll let you know after upgrading one of my slow site to version 1.4.
I'll be really happy if you could help me and I could get the good perfomance of Orchard on my site.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Hi sfmskywalker,

I tried to publish the orchard cms 1.4.0.

I didn't setup any features and it is just the default setting.

I followed the following steps.

1. download the orchard.web1.4 from codeplex

2. type the url

3. setup the orchard site as default setting. (Use built-in data storage (SQL Server Compact))

And then I tried to browse it again and the speed was good(just 2 seconds for loading).

But after 2 hours, I tried it again and it took just 21 seconds.

It is same with previous(orchard 1.3.9).

You can check all by following urls.

You can access to those above sites with this account : admin/myloveorchard

Especially, when I try to browse orchard sites everyday, it takes more than 20 seconds.

But after that the loading doesn't take so long, sometimes it takes just 2sec ~ 10 sec.

But after 2 hours, if I try to browse it again, it takes more than 20 seconds again.

The following urls are my sites what I have developed in past for demo using Orchard CMS.

Best regards,

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Have you followed the guide here?

Specifically the part about iis app pool timeout settings? IIS will by default recycle the app pool every 20 minutes (I think). There is no reason to keep that default setting in a production app. That means after 20 minutes of inactivity your orchard app will shutdown and the next time you try to access it you will have to wait your 20 seconds for the entire app domain to spin up before a page can load. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Hi TheMonarch,

Thanks for your reply.

The reason was the idle timeout setting on iis.
It was 20 min as default.
So do I have to set it as more than 24 hours?
I would like to hear from you more correct solution.

Finally I saw the light of hope for my future on Orchard CMS!

Thanks for all.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I've set mine to zero. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:20 AM

My all sites are very fast.

May 3, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Sounds like you have things working :) But I wanted to add my 2 cents on IIS recycling.

In my experience not having any recycling in IIS is going to be a problem when you go into production (it's fine for a development machine that gets rebooted once in a while). Not all web apps are perfect and the sometimes leak memory or don't release resources, and on a server that hardly every reboots you'll end up with IIS consuming all available resources over time. That's part of why Microsoft added recycling in the first place. Instead of not doing any recycling, you might consider recyling at a specific time of day (like 4 Am) for example...and yes that would mean the first request to the site the next morning would be slower (unless you wake it up). Or you could recycle when memory reaches a certain level.

The recycling of IIS and the load times associated with the "first load" is a problem for all web applications and (even more so) web services.  The fact that the applications and services don't automatically "wake up" until the first connection is made can be a problem not only in terms of end-user response time, but also for (in the case of web services) any consuming application that expects a service to respond within a defined period.

Whenever we deploy and essential service or web application we've often use a Http Ping utility such as this one  (using windows scheduler) to hit certain pages of our sites and services to ensure that they are alive. This can be used to cause Orchard to compile and wake up it's pages as well. It's also a very good tool for monitoring the state of your apps from another server and sending you and email if it goes down. I have it set up to "wake up my site every minute or two". In more enterprise level commercial deployments, we've done similar things using a Windows services, but it's probably overkill if you can avoid it.

Anyway, my 2 cents :)

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM
Edited Oct 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Hi SkyWalker,

I am using Orchard CMS from v1.3. I have a Windows Enterprise Hosting Edition at Hostgator India. Recently admins at Hostgator have made some restrictions on App Pool or the Virtual Memory..idk..The main issue Orchard CMS website pages aren't getting cached..even if the page gets cached its cached only for some seconds or max-to-max a min thats it.

What could be the reason for the pages not getting cached.?

So putting a 12 hours cache is of no use to me. 12hours - 43200 seconds. Previously i was having a cache of 2500 seconds.

I have also heard about the 64Bit vs 32Bit issue...Brad(Orcsweb) has a solution for it

After reading this post i had changed my App Pool version from 64bit to 32Bit.But still two of my Orchard CMS websites take around 10 to 20 seconds to load. Currently i am using Orchard CMS v1.5.1

Please if u give me some suggestions or idea to tackle this.

Happy Orcharding.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM

No memory... nocache. You should find another hosting company if they are ready to pull the rug from under your feet like that.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:21 AM

I have 4GB of RAM and i am running two Orchard CMS Sites.

No Memory nocache...You mean to say that they are putting restrictions on my memory limit.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:41 AM

But it's you who said "admins at Hostgator have made some restrictions on App Pool or the Virtual Memory". Now I'm completely confused about what it is you're asking.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:48 AM

As u said go for another host. So i am planning to buy another host.

Happy Orcharding

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I have shifted from Hostgator India to Cytanium Hosting..and Orchard CMS is running absolutely awesome...Thanks Bertrand and Brad.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

@abhishekluv LITE or Basic Cytanium setup? I'm interested in knowing how well Orchard runs on the LITE setup?

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Lite plan is good only for one site. With the Lite plan you can only have 1 site. No option to add more or upgrade to the Basic plan later. But with Basic plan you have the option to add more sites for $2 each per month. Lite has no option at all. So if you will be hosting more than one site then go for Basic plan otherwise you'll be fine with Lite plan for one Orchard CMS site.

I would prefer to go with the Basic plan.

Happy Orcharding.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Oh that's cool, so you can have a Basic for $8 a month and add additional sites for $2 each, that sounds like a good deal.

But I was actually querying about the performance of the Lite setup with an Orchard site, do both plans have the same CPU+Memory setup?

Many thanks.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM
pnmcosta wrote:

Oh that's cool, so you can have a Basic for $8 a month and add additional sites for $2 each, that sounds like a good deal.

But I was actually querying about the performance of the Lite setup with an Orchard site, do both plans have the same CPU+Memory setup?

Many thanks.

Yeah i think CPU + Memory setup will be same like Basic plan with restrictions like Bandwidth 20GB, No Monthly and Quarterly payment only Annually payment is allowed. Advantage of Basic plan over Lite one is that you are allowed to buy Add-ons. You may contact Here or Here