How to create an HTML only homepage

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Mar 1, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Very new to Orchard here...

What I am trying to accomplish is create a Content Item that consists of ONLY an HTML part (body). I don't want a  title or any meta data of any sort. 

I am doing this to try and create of a sort of 'splash' screen for the site using an image and CSS.

Is this even the best way to go about this? Thanks.

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Edited Mar 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM

You can do that in at least 3 ways:

1. In your theme, open and add rules that say: don't render this and that shape when displaying the homepage:

<!-- Remove the page title and metadata from the homepage-->
  <Match Path="~/">
    <Place Parts_RoutableTitle="-" />
    <Place Parts_Common_Metadata="-" />

(Note that with Orchard 1.4, the Routable module has been replaced with Autoroute and Title, which will probably generate differently named shapes. Use the Shape Tracer to find the shapes that you whish to remove from the homepage).

2. Create a class in your theme that implements IShapeTableProvider that adds alternates to the content item shape: see

3. Create a new class that derives from FilterPRovider and implements IResultFilter: see

The simplest way is option 1, but if you need a totally different HTML structure for your splash, then I think option 2 would make sense.

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM

The simplest solution in my opinion is to create a new Content Type (Contents -> Content Types -> Create) and just select BodyPart and Identity (for import/export compatibility). Check Creatable (and Draftable if you need it)

Cal this type "HTML Page" or "Raw Page", or whatever makes sense to you. Done.

Another solution is to create a content type named Route, with just a Title and Autoroute. Then you can add HTML widgets to it.