Crowdsourcing for web design

Topics: General, Writing themes
Feb 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hi. I have to use Orchard CMS for a new website I need, but I am not a programmer. So please excuse my ignorance here :)

Can I have my website designed using a crowdsourcing site, then have that design applied to the Orchard CMS or is it the other way around? In that the design MUST be built around the Orchard style and widget capabilities?

Excuse my ignorance, but I didnt want to pay for a website design and then find out later that the layout and style wont work with Orchard. Ideally I want to spec how my site should look and the pages required, then have it designed commercially, then have it coded into the CMS so my site will be right to go.

Stage 1 - spec and obtain the design. Stage 2 - give design PSD to programmer familiar with Orchard - Stage 3 - have the design integrated and working live with Orchard CMS.

If I am way off the mark can you steer me in right direction before I stuff it up :)

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM

My advice:  Combine #1 and #2, at least to a certain extent.  Some web designs can be readily built in a CMS (whether Orchard or not), and others are much more difficult.  If you can't find a designer who has extensive successful experience at doing design for CMS (ok, at least three successful gigs where the developer didn't tear his/her hair out trying to implement it), then be sure you involve your developer in the design reviews you conduct. 

As a developer myself, I have several designers I greatly prefer, and work with frequently.  There are other designers I won't work with at all.  Both the designer and the developer need to understand CMS and how it's different than building static web sites.  It's helpful, though not completely necessary, if the designer understands the functionality available from the CMS, and doesn't put things in there that are done differently in a particular CMS.

Ideally, you should look for a designer/developer team; two people who have worked together before.  That's the way I generally work; I'll do projects by designers I don't know, but I like to examine their portfolio first.  It's rare to find both roles in the same individual. 

Regards,
Mike Sharp
CollaborationPeople

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Well, I think there are phases to design and development.

1) Hire designer who creates design in Photoshop or Illustrator. Keep in mind, whatever they are mocking up and designing must be doable in Orchard.

2) Once this is done, shop the design around to html/css coders or full on web developers. U want to find someone who can take your design and implement it using HTML, CSS, etc....

3) Any additional modules or whatever, hire a C# MVC Coder to implement.
You may be able to find someone proficient in all.. My experience is, if want to deliver a world class site, then get what you need not what you want!!!

Regards….

Developer
Mar 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

As long as the design is suitable to be a webpage or webpages (meaning that it's doable to be sliced into HTML and CSS and looks good in different window sizes and all), then it will certainly be suitable to Orchard.