Call to the users of Facebook Suite

Topics: Announcements
Developer
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Please answer the following question if you use or plan to use the Facebook Suite module:

How would you like to use the social plugin widgets (like comments, like box...) with content items?

1. As it is today: configurable at a per-item level, i.e. if e.g. FacebookCommentsPart is attached to the Page content type, the configuration of the comments widget should be set with every new Page. This is quite uncomfortable, but was simple and quick to implement.
  2. As it is today, but with defaults configurable site-wide: this way a site-wide default could be set for e.g. the width of the comments box and this default would be set when e.g. creating a new Page.
  3. As it is today, but with defaults configurable content type-wide: as the previous, but default could be set for every content type, from the type's management page.
  4. With content type-level configuration: e.g. the properties of the comments box could be set for all Page items, losing the ability to configure the widget for an individual item (that could be done with widget layers).

I would opt with option 4, because I think that makes the most sense (and this is also possibly the fastest to implement), but would love to hear some feedback so I don't change something that would upset the audience's majority.

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM

With 4, I'm assuming you meant type-level configuration, so like 3, but without the per-item override? Then I'd say 4 as well, with the ability to close comments per item (like the default comments module).

Developer
Feb 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Yes, that's what I've meant, I corrected it. Indeed, that's it how you've understood. Thanks for the suggestion, enabling-disabling per content item would be needed too.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I would like to see a Open Authentication module and FaceBook suite in one. So combine all the social functionality of various Social networks and make them available as a wrapper around the different networks. So not only authentication but for example: GetFriends, GetFriendDetails,PostComment, etc.

That would be really powerful!

Developer
Feb 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I think combining everything into one module would produce something too fat to be healthy :-).

Providing a wrapper for all social networks would be indeed great but I think due to the differences between the various networks that wouldn't be quick, yet alone possible to implement. Anyways, something like that is well beyond the scope of Facebook Suite.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM

well i don't mean one single module but this could be separated as more modules but with dependencies with each other. The thing is that every site i built have social integration it has support for multiple social networks. You can log on with multiple social networks (open authentication module) and you can retrieve (with all the logged on networks) your friends or post a message on the logged on social network. These kind of things. I understand that this is out of the scope of your Facebook suite but i'm sure this is doable because i know there are companies that do this as paid service (social integration through webservices). See for example: http://www.gigya.com/

Maybe this kind of module can use the FaceBook suite as a dependency.
Just some thoughts. Unfortunately i don't have time for this myself because i'm busy with a other Orchard module :)

Developer
Feb 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Hey Znowman, are you using the Open Authentication module?

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM

yes why?

Developer
Feb 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Have you had to make many customizations?

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Ok to clarify this: We (our company) have a service like Gigya and using that for the social integrations in our websites. Currently i have used Open Authentication for my personal project but i miss the things like postMessage, getFriends etc, which are possible with services like gigya. I would love to create a module which extends the open authentication module to make these things possible but unfortunately i don't have the time for that at the moment. That's why proposed to make the Facebook suite more general purpose and make it play together with the open authentication module.