File field - Orchard 1.4, Upgrade or not?

Topics: General
Feb 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I created the File field https://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Contrib.FileField

Currently I dont have the time to contribute to the orchard project. I havent looked into the the new upgrade path for Orchard 1.4 but i assume as it has a route it will require a update.

I see Sabastien created the Media Picker field, I have not used this field but I assume that this can do everything the File field can do? I also dont think its a good idea to have several fields that are basically the same.

What am i best to do with the File field?

- Change the description to state that its not currently in development and refer to the Media picker field?

- Find some time and upgrade the field if needed?

- Core fields are in development, I'm not sure if the File field is included but it should be. Maybe this could replace be the replacement. http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/274918

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The Media Picker fields is in the core Orchard.Fields now, and I think we should rely on this one and enhance it if it lacks some things (we know it does). Might be interesting to know what you could provide to the Media Picker in order to handle pdf/word.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

The File field, was actualy from memory developed off your Image field, I just spripped out all the image code and just render an A tag with a route to the file, the idea is the user creates a custom theme for the field if its to look different.

I'll put a note on the File field on the Gallery that the Media field is the way forward.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I'm just starting with Orchard, but our users need an easy way to link to pdfs like the Media Picker. Any idea when this will be available? Anyway to code a workaround?

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

It already is available in the 1.x branch. This will ship as 1.6 in a couple of weeks but you can get it now from a clone of the source code sync'ed to the latest in 1.x.