Best Practice to add functionality

Topics: Writing modules
Feb 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Edited Feb 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I have a two steps wizard style form. I don't want to consider this form as a content. How can I go about doing this wizard form? I should start with a module, and where should I drop this module in? Should I create a new content type called 'wizard' and include the wizard module in that?

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:59 AM

If you don't want it to be content, just do it like you would in regular MVC.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Thanks. But I want to have this wizard to appear inside the theme. My understanding is that unless I have a content type, I can't get a theme look.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:06 AM

No, all you need to do is decorate your controller action with [Themed] and the view will get integrated in the theme. There are many examples of that throughout the code.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Edited Feb 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Thank you. This will help us a lot as we can keep the content related stuff separate and the functionality areas separate.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Actually you can define content types for such use-cases too, without Migrations, from handlers: you can build a type from parts with ActivatingFilters. So you can have a content type for using on that one page only (building it's display shape with ContentManager) This gives you the flexibility content types already have, e.g. the using of display groups that are handy for multi-paged editors (like wizards).