How did the Orchard team approach improvements in performance?

Topics: General
Feb 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I know this is possibly more of an NHibernate discussion, but seeing as the Orchard team was able to achieve pretty significant gains in performance between Orchard 1.0 and the current version I thought I'd ask. 

Generally speaking, given all the dependency injection and general difficulty stepping through services (at least I find it challenging),  I'm mostly interested in how you identified the bottlenecks and then the approach you used to resolve them. I'm in the same boat with my app (which is paired with the Orchard UI). We've done all of our modeling and ORM using NHibernate and haven't touched any sort of performance tuning....it's a bridge we're going to need to cross soon!

Much appreciated. 

Ryan

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

No premature optimization. Profiling, hard work. That's pretty much it. Get yourself a good profiling tool, one that you understand and find intuitive. Never make a "perf improvement" because you've heard that X or Y impairs perf, but only because you've seen it degrade perf, and you've measured that the fix is actually improving things. A scientific, evidence-based approach in other words.