Custom email address for Send Email Action

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, General, Troubleshooting
Jan 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Ok I have the following use case...

Only certain people in a department are allowed to publish content (Editor Role), others are allowed to edit, but only save (Contributor Role).  When anyone saves new content they want an email to be sent to the editors to inform them that there is unpublished content.

I can handle the permissions fine using roles, however I am a bit stuck when it comes to the email rules.  I have created a new rule with the published event, cool, but when I add the Send e-mail action it only gives me the option to send to the Owner, Author or Site Admin.  This seems to be baked into the MailForm in the Email module.  Is there a solution where we can either choose a user or just enter an email address?

Thanks for any help.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I don't know of a solution for that scenario. To the best of my knowledge, you would have to create a custom action and perhaps some custom tokens to pull that off.

You may find that using the rules engine will not meet your needs at the moment when firing actions based on the publish event. The publish event gets fired twice right now due to the way the slug is determined for the content item.

Check a blog post I wrote about this and read under "Publish Event Fired Twice in Orchard 1.3".

http://www.sarasota.me/blog/send-email-when-blog-post-published

Regards,

Dave

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 4:49 PM

This is fixed in 1.x.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

@j3ffb, I have exactly same scenario as yours. Did you get a solution for your problem?

What's the best way to approach this?

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Probably to read the answers... ;)

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I read what davidhayden mentioned and went through his blog too. But, that was for the version 1.3. I was hoping if Orchard has come up with better solution with version 1.4?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Yes, which is why I said "this is fixed in 1.x"... and one message later "probably read the answers"... In 1.4, you can choose an arbitrary address in the send e-mail action. Or a comma-separated list.