Editing Widgets inside layers affects all layers

Topics: Administration, Core
Jan 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Please tell me if I am doing something wrong or not, but every time I attempt to add a menu widget to a layer that is NOT the default layer, that update is affecting all layers.

I created a new layer which I named "HelpDesk".  I wanted to have a different Main menu for this layer than for the default layer.  When I applied my newly created "HelpDesk" menu to my new "HelpDesk" layer, this change was applied to all layers.

What is the point of having all these different layers if you cannot of different content, menu widgets, etc associated to these different layers???

Please tell me what I MUST be doing wrong...

-P

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM

A widget can only be associated to one layer. If the widget is appearing on all pages there must be something wrong with your layer rule.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

What if you want to have one layer have one set of menu options and another layer have a different set of menu options base on a user's roles It looks like this article, http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/258268 , is describing just that using different layers...

With Role-based layers, can you not have one layer with one set of menu options and another layer with a different set of menu options?

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Yes. Layer rules can be anything, and widgets won't show if their layer rule doesn't equate to true.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Layers is a nice concept, but you tend to end up with lots and lots of layers when building a site with pages with varying content coming from widgets. What I would like to be able to do is to choose on a per page basis the widgets i need. So, I would suggets something like a widget drop zone area on each page's admin page (did taht make sense?), where I can drag and drop widgets and choose which zone that widget should belong to. Also being able to select a content item (any item of any content type) as a widget would be a killer feature!

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Yes, you're not the only one to want that feature ;)

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM

That's always good to know :) Anything currently in the works?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

My module "Mechanics" can support this (actually has been able to for quite a while). It allows defining different types of relationships between content; with Widgets and Pages both being content, you can create a page-to-widgets relationship. However it won't quite be perfect until the next release, which will be shortly after Orchard 1.4.

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I'd like page widgets to be one of the features in 1.5, but that will have to be approved.