Multilingual pages and multilevel menu

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Localization
Jan 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I've faced with an issue, that Orchard CMS doesn't support hierarchical menus and multi language out of the box. It is possible to make it multilevel or multilingual, but seems that not both. The idea is to provide multilevel menu with translatable pages. In addition, if the page is not exist in some language it should show the page with standard language.

It is really surprising, why Orchard doesn't support hierarchial menu out of the box (it seems it is only planned in further releases, but when?). I did test all menu and culture related modules, and I'm pretty sure that they just don't want to work with each other - like:

Culture picker - hides the page if there is no translation and works only with standard one level navigation.

Better menus and Advanced menu - has nothing to do with localization.

Any thoughts, how to implement that in better way?

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Everybody has a different idea about what should be supported out of the box. Most features are implemented as modules for that very reason. There are several hierarchical menus available on the gallery. If it is true that none of them support localization, it only means that nobody needed it badly enough to implement it so far. Best way to implement would probably to pick the menu you prefer and add the feature to it, then contribute back a patch.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Thank you for response. Which module do you think fits the best to apply the patch for localization and culture picker support? I'll take a look into it and make a module (or patch if applicable) according the requrements as soon as I read all available documentation.

As far as I see in the roadmap it is low prio feature, but localization could be moved into the core modules soon. Is there any infomation which module will be taken as a core and when the next release comes up?

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2012 at 4:51 AM

I don't know them enough to provide advice.

I'm a little confused by the second part of your question: localization already is a core module. It's culture picker that isn't.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Well, Culture picker only give an option to change the language in the frontend by filtering the navigation structure. I was talking about "Localization" module, which gives an option to create pages with different cultures and switch between them in admin section.

Generally, how I currently see the situation:

1. Localization module and Culture picker - to give translation capabilities.

2. Hierarchial menu module which support modules from point one - this has to be enchanced in some of the modules(Better menus, Advanced menus)

3. Develop content part which will switch the content item body to default language if there is no text in choosen language. - (this will give a flexibility to translate menu item and title but leave same text). This has to be developed. Hopefully it is possible I didn't find any modules like it.