Multiple Menus options

Topics: Core, General
Jan 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Hi,

I am working on a university project, The problem is inside main site there are going to be many internal college / course site, like a tree.

The main site will have a menu which is related to university inside the College Tab I have more then 30 colleges which are going to have same design of but its menu will change like which course / About us / contact us etc for each college. 

I want to remove the first menu of university and replace it with the college related links.

Regards

Moksha

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Edited Jan 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM

One way to approach it is multi-tenancy and have each college on its own sub-domain. Each college then has its own separate database and configuration, including the menu. The problem then is that each college has its own separate database and configuration; meaning they can't share content or users, which will make some things more difficult.

You could try the Advanced Menu Module which can handle multiple menus: http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Szmyd.Orchard.Modules.Menu

Failing that there's my own module "Cartography" which can make hierarchical menus, and with some customisation could have different menus on different pages. However it's a bit fiddly to use in the current release, especially once you have a lot of content items; I'll be solving all these issues with the next release, including the multiple menus business, but that will be at least two weeks away if not longer!

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Thanks randompete for your reply. So when your new Module is going to come, means is there any change it can make before 2 week. also of current menu module have you made any tutorial video. 

Regards

Moksha

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM

My release will be at least two weeks, probably more like a month, and it needs Orchard 1.4 anyway (which should be released within the same timescale).

You might be better off with Advanced Menu or Multi Tenancy, have you looked at them?

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I've also released a menu module, you can get it here: https://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.SchoolPointe.Menus

If you try it, let me know what you think!