Orchard Multi-tenancy and the domain setups

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Jan 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I'm getting my brain around Orchard Multi-tenancy and the domain setups. I have setup Orchard and the default site is working fine. Download Multi-tenancy module and install it fine on a particular domain. (Windows Web Server 2008 R2 dedicated server) The default opens on the <domain>.com/orchard URL.

When I add a new tenant what do I put in host?

Do I need to do anything the dns setting for the default domain?

Can I link an entirely different domain to the tenant or does it need to be a sub-domain or folder of the default URL?

Do I need to do anything with the code - routing etc?

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Host is the domain, "domain.com". If your main tenant is "domain.com", a tenant can be "somethingcompletelydifferent.net". You don't have anything to do with routing.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Thanks for your reply.

So I've setup the url "somethingcompletelydifferent.net" and then use it as a host for the new tenant call "hello". When it click set up it goes to somethingcompletelydifferent.net/orchard and gives me a 404 - File or directory not found error

I must have to do something to the somethingcompletelydifferent.net url setup to direct the url to the orchard files on "domain.com" url.

What url do I direct the somethingcompletelydifferent.net url to? domain.com/orchard/hello or something like that? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:01 AM

You have to configure DNS so that it points the domain at your server. That's it. Orchard will look at the host name the request comes in on and switch requests to the appropriate tenant shell.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Oh, also you need to make sure your server is bound to that domain name, e.g. by editing the bindings in IIS, or configuring a virtual domain in your hosting CP.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:05 AM
Edited Jan 18, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Final getting my brain around this.

I've directed the somethingcompletelydifferent.net to domain.com and set up tenant with the host somethingcompletelydifferent.net 

I get a  404 - File or directory not found error

I get this if I go to domain.com directly as the url domain.com/orchard is the one that works. What do I need to do to get domain.com to access domain.com/orchard? (I could setup a default document with a redirect but unsure in a MVC enviroment.)

If I set somethingcompletelydifferent.net to redirect to domain.com/orchard, I get the defult orchard site.