get a 404 Error Page after editing the Homepage

Topics: Administration, Core, Troubleshooting
Jan 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM

After i edited my Homepage i get a 404 Error Page [orchard.feuerwehr-duernau.de]. I tried to unset/set the Homepage Checkbox, but it doesn't save my changes.

I tried to fix this problem, but I don't find a solution.

In this issue i found the same scenario: http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/17808

Does anybody knows what i have to do?

Orchard v.1.3.10.0

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Edited Jan 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

In your database, what is in the Settings_SiteSettingsPartRecord table? (Specifically the HomePage column)

Edit: Also, have you by any chance ended up with two records in that table? Someone had a similar issue before.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Edited Jan 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. The value in the column HomePage in Settings_SiteSettingsPartRecord is "RoutableHomePageProvider;8".

There is just one line in this column.

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM

It tells the home page module to look for a Routable content with Id 8. Please ensure you have a content item with Id 8 in db, and also that it is routable, i.e. you have removed the Routable part by mistake.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Edited Jan 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Ok, in the table 'Routable_RoutePartRecord' in the column 'ContentItemRecord_id' there are more than one row with the value 8.

The first row owns the title of the default orchard homepage and some others have the title of my own homepage.

edit: should i delete some of them? - Please help me :-/

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I found this discussion: http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/286165

I checked my settings, but it's all right. It's anaother problem for me.

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Can you try setting another page as the home and see if that works?

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

This I had already been tried, without success. Is there a database model for the orchard project?

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2012 at 5:35 AM

What happened when you tried?

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Sorry :) , nothing happened, i get the same 404 Page. The only thing that changed is that the content is set to homepage. The page as self i can access directly http://orchard.feuerwehr-duernau.de/start.

When i disable the checkbox in the settings of this page, it doesn't save the change.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Are you sure that Settings_SiteSettingsPartRecord has only one row? (You said "There is just one line in this column." which isn't quite what I was asking; or was that a typo...?)

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Sorry, my english is not so good, what I meant was that the table 'Settings_SiteSettingsPartRecord' has only one record. In the column 'HomePage' I had the value 'RoutableHomePageProvider;8' and now I set it to the right content-id 'RoutableHomePageProvider;294'.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Ok. Can you check two things:

1) Are there any errors appearing in your log files (App_Data\Logs)?

2) Does the table Orchard_Framework_ContentItemRecord have a record with Id == 8 or Id == 294? And what are the values of the other columns on those rows?

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

1) This is the latest entry. This is not the only entry with this error.

2012-01-19 12:45:54,600 [6] Orchard.UI.Navigation.NavigationManager - Unexpected error while querying a navigation provider. It was ignored. The menu provided by the provider may not be complete.
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager.Get(Int32 id, VersionOptions options) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentManager.cs:Zeile 149.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentQuery.b__0(ContentItemVersionRecord x) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentQuery.cs:Zeile 141.
   bei System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   bei System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   bei System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentQuery.Slice(Int32 skip, Int32 count) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentQuery.cs:Zeile 139.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentQuery.ContentQuery`1.Orchard.ContentManagement.IContentQuery.List() in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentQuery.cs:Zeile 184.
   bei Zveen.MultiMenu.Services.MultiMenuService.FetchMenus()
   bei Zveen.MultiMenu.AdminMenu.GetNavigation(NavigationBuilder builder)
   bei Orchard.UI.Navigation.NavigationManager.d__14.MoveNext() in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\UI\Navigation\NavigationManager.cs:Zeile 114.

These were the last log entries before the problem:

2012-01-09 21:16:51,778 [8] Orchard.UI.Navigation.NavigationManager - Unexpected error while querying a navigation provider. It was ignored. The menu provided by the provider may not be complete.
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager.Get(Int32 id, VersionOptions options) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentManager.cs:Zeile 149.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentQuery.b__0(ContentItemVersionRecord x) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentQuery.cs:Zeile 141.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentQuery.Slice(Int32 skip, Int32 count) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentQuery.cs:Zeile 139.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentQuery.ContentQuery`1.Orchard.ContentManagement.IContentQuery.List() in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentQuery.cs:Zeile 184.
   bei Orchard.UI.Navigation.NavigationManager.d__c.MoveNext() in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\UI\Navigation\NavigationManager.cs:Zeile 95.
2012-01-09 21:16:52,060 [8] Orchard.UI.Navigation.NavigationManager - Unexpected error while querying a navigation provider. It was ignored. The menu provided by the provider may not be complete.
   bei Orchard.UI.Navigation.NavigationManager.d__14.MoveNext() in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\UI\Navigation\NavigationManager.cs:Zeile 114.
2012-01-09 21:16:53,685 [8] Orchard.UI.Navigation.NavigationManager - Unexpected error while querying a navigation provider. It was ignored. The menu provided by the provider may not be complete.
2012-01-09 21:17:28,763 [7] Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentPartDriver by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Drivers.MenuPartDriver
   bei Orchard.Utility.Position.GetNext(IEnumerable`1 menuItems) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\Utility\Position.cs:Zeile 12.
   bei Orchard.Core.Navigation.Drivers.MenuPartDriver.Editor(MenuPart part, IUpdateModel updater, Object shapeHelper) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Navigation\Drivers\MenuPartDriver.cs:Zeile 40.
   bei System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute4[T0,T1,T2,T3,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1, T2 arg2, T3 arg3)
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.IContentPartDriver.UpdateEditor(UpdateEditorContext context) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:Zeile 30.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator.<>c__DisplayClass10.b__f(IContentPartDriver driver) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\Coordinators\ContentPartDriverCoordinator.cs:Zeile 61.
   bei Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:Zeile 19.
2012-01-09 21:17:29,028 [7] Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentHandler by Orchard.Core.Routable.Handlers.RoutePartHandler
   bei Orchard.Core.Routable.Services.RoutableService.GetSimilarPaths(String path) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Routable\Services\RoutableService.cs:Zeile 0.
   bei Orchard.Core.Routable.Services.RoutableService.ProcessSlug(IRoutableAspect part) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Routable\Services\RoutableService.cs:Zeile 139.
   bei Orchard.Core.Routable.Handlers.RoutePartHandler.<.ctor>b__1(RoutePart routable) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Routable\Handlers\RoutePartHandler.cs:Zeile 43.
   bei Orchard.Core.Routable.Handlers.RoutePartHandler.FinalizePath(RoutePart route, PublishContentContext context, Action`1 processSlug) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Routable\Handlers\RoutePartHandler.cs:Zeile 106.
   bei Orchard.Core.Routable.Handlers.RoutePartHandler.<>c__DisplayClass9.<.ctor>b__2(PublishContentContext context, RoutePart route) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Routable\Handlers\RoutePartHandler.cs:Zeile 53.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.ContentHandler.InlineStorageFilter`1.Published(PublishContentContext context, TPart instance) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Handlers\ContentHandler.cs:Zeile 140.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.StorageFilterBase`1.Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.IContentStorageFilter.Published(PublishContentContext context) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Handlers\StorageFilterBase.cs:Zeile 68.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.ContentHandler.Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.IContentHandler.Published(PublishContentContext context) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Handlers\ContentHandler.cs:Zeile 246.
   bei Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager.<>c__DisplayClass3b.b__39(IContentHandler handler) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentManager.cs:Zeile 299.
   bei Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:Zeile 19.

2)

Takes a few hours (3-4)

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

At first glance it looks like there's a problem with Zveen.MultiMenu, which is a module I haven't encountered before. If you disable it do you get your homepage back?

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I've tried, the error page still comes.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Ok so it looks like that last error might be relevant. You're getting a null reference from DefaultContentManager.

Line #149 is:

contentItem = New(versionRecord.ContentItemRecord.ContentType.Name);

What I suspect here is that your content database has somehow become corrupt and you have a missing ContentItemRecord or ContentItemVersionRecord.

So regarding the question 2) I asked above; why will it take a few hours? The answer probably lies either in that table or in Orchard_Framework_ContentItemVersionRecord (where you can check for rows with ContentItemRecord_id ==  8 or 294, and also tell me the column values of Number, Published and Latest on those rows).

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

:-D - it takes a few hours, because I cannot access my sql-server from this location. But I'm going to see.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Ok, here I have the entries of the table 'Orchard_Framework_ContentItemVersionRecord' for the id 294

Id	Number	Published	Latest	Data	ContentItemRecord_id
680	1	0		0	NULL	294
681	2	0		0	NULL	294
682	3	0		0	NULL	294
683	4	0		0	NULL	294
684	5	0		0	NULL	294
685	6	0		0	NULL	294
686	7	0		0	NULL	294
689	8	1		1	NULL	294

and for the id 8

Id	Number	Published	Latest	Data	ContentItemRecord_id
8	1	0		0	NULL	8
45	2	0		0	NULL	8
181	3	0		0	NULL	8
310	4	0		0	NULL	8
318	5	0		0	NULL	8
384	6	0		0	NULL	8
385	7	0		0	NULL	8
665	8	0		0	NULL	8
666	9	0		0	NULL	8
667	10	0		0	NULL	8
668	11	0		0	NULL	8
673	12	0		0	NULL	8
674	13	0		0	NULL	8
675	14	0		0	NULL	8
676	15	0		0	NULL	8

table 'Orchard_Framework_ContentItemRecord':

Id	Data	ContentType_id
294	NULL	4
Id	Data						ContentType_id
8	<Data><Page><Links></Links></Page></Data>	4

looks bad, right?

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hmm ... apparently there's no published or latest version of ContentItem 8. (Published and Latest columns are all zero).

Can you also check the Content Type - do you have an Orchard_Framework_ContentTypeRecord with Id == 4?

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

It's 'Page', but I don't think so that the content as self is the problem. This page should be shown as homepage and it work directly. I had tried to set the homepage to another existing site or a completely new site and it doesn't work.

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

That error "should not have passed path constraint" can only come from the Routable ItemController. You'll have to debug and see why it's happening. The file is Core\Routable\Controllers\ItemController.cs - set a breakpoint at the start of the Display action, and see if the error is coming from the first or second time that error is generated. It's either the path isn't in the _routablePathConstraint (indicating an error in routing) or that the ContentManager isn't finding the item (indicating it's not published or the path is somehow wrong). See what the value of the "path" and "matchedPath" variables are.

Also have a look in the table Routable_RoutePartRecord for a row where ContentItemRecord_id is the the same as your content Id and see what the values of Title/Path/Slug are.

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Finally - can you list what 3rd party modules you have installed, one of them may be causing problems.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Hi, here I have the list of all 3rd party modules

Blogs - Version: 1.3.0
Build any form with oForms - Version: 1.5.2
Choice list - Version: 1.0.0
Code Generation - Version: 1.3.0
Comments - Version: 1.3.0
Common - Version: 1.3.0
Contact us - Version: 1.0
ContactUser - Version: 0.9
Containers - Version: 1.3.0
Contents - Version: 1.3.0
ContentTypes - Version: 1.3.0
CyberStride.Contacts - Version: 0.9.4
Dashboard - Version: 1.3.0
Date Time Field - Version: 1.0
Delete Content Types - Version: 1.0
Email Messaging - Version: 1.3.0
EmailObfuscator - Version: 1.1
Error Log Viewer - Version: 1.2
Featured Item Slider - Version: 1.4.3
Feeds - Version: 1.3.0
File Field - Version: 1.2
Forms - Version: 1.3.0
GDNET.ElapsedTimeField - Version: 1.0.1
Google Analytics - Version: 1.0
HomePage - Version: 1.3.0
Html Field - Version: 1.3
Indexing - Version: 1.3.0
jQuery - Version: 1.3.0
Keep Alive - Version: 1.0
kosfiz.sitemap - Version: 0.91
kosfiz.WebSiteOwner - Version: 0.9
Lists - Version: 1.3.0
Lucene - Version: 1.3.0
Markdown - Version: 1.3.0
Media - Version: 1.3.0
Media Picker - Version: 1.3.0
Media Picker Field - Version: 1.2
Messaging - Version: 1.3.0
Modules - Version: 1.3.0
Navigation - Version: 1.3.0
Packaging - Version: 1.3.0
Pages - Version: 1.3.0
PhoneNumbers - Version: 1.0
Picasa - Version: 0.1
Profile - Version: 1.1
Publish Later - Version: 1.3.0
Recipes - Version: 1.3.0
Reports - Version: 1.3.0
Robots - Version: 1.0.0
Role Layer Rule - Version: 1.0
Roles - Version: 1.3.0
Routable - Version: 1.3.0
Rules - Version: 1.3.0
Scheduling - Version: 1.3.0
Scripting - Version: 1.3.0
Search - Version: 1.3.0
Settings - Version: 1.3.0
Setup - Version: 1.3.0
Shapes - Version: 1.3.0
Stars - Version: 1.3
System Editor - Version: 1.4.0
Tags - Version: 1.3.0
Task Lease - Version: 1.3.0
Themes - Version: 1.3.0
TinyMce - Version: 1.3.0
Title - Version: 1.3.0
Tokens - Version: 1.3.0
Users - Version: 1.3.0
Vandelay Industries - Version: 1.3.0
Voting - Version: 1.2
Warmup - Version: 1.3.0
Widgets - Version: 1.3.0
XmlRpc - Version: 1.3.0
Zveen.MultiMenu - Version: 1.0

Because the other things I have to look.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Well, you've listed all the built-in modules as well as 3rd party ones; I only needed to know which ones you'd especially installed ;)

It seems you've installed quite a few, and several there I haven't encountered before.

What I suggest at this point is disabling those modules one at a time, and test the homepage after each one. See if it comes back alive after disabling a particular module, that would give you a clue that a module is causing an error.

Of course you might disable them all and it still doesn't work, at least then we'll know for definite that it's a core error or database corruption, not some other module interfering.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I've now disabled all third-party modules, but the error page is still displayed.

With the debuging is a bit tricky ... I have just a web-console, no direct IIS access. I will set up a virtual machine for it.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Best bet would be to take a complete backup of your database and run it locally.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Edited Jan 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Ok, I've now finally succeeded to debug.

I start with "Core\Routeable\Views\Routeable.HomePage.cshtml" because I don't have "Core\Routable\Controllers\ItemController.cs" and set breakpoint for both lines:

Solution Screenshot

After I step into next line 

Html.RenderAction(routeValues["action"] as string, routeValues["controller"] as string, routeValues);

It jumps out and I get the 404 Page.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Ok, firstly ... this problem won't be happening in Orchard 1.4 and Autoroute, it will simply be impossible.

What's happened is that your content has ended up with RoutePart.Path=="". Perhaps you've set a blank slug? The homepage doesn't need the blank slug, and having an empty path will stop that item being able to display. This is all related to how items are routed in 1.3 and prior; everything is changing in 1.4.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Edited Jan 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM
randompete wrote:

(...) What's happened is that your content has ended up with RoutePart.Path=="". Perhaps you've set a blank slug? (...)

Sorry, but what's a slug? :)

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

The slug is the editbox you see under "Permalink" when you edit an item.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Aaaha! :-/

It's set to "start" - normally. Is it possible to during the last version update, some paths were not correctly writtenShould the logic part be overwritten again?

By the way, when can we expect version 1.4?

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Slagsmalsklubben wrote:

By the way, when can we expect version 1.4?

I found it: https://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/285964

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Version update shouldn't have changed it. But can you dump out your RoutePartRecord table for the relevant Ids?

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Hi, a few days later here we go again.

I think this is the same Problem: http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/17003?ProjectName=orchard

These are the entries:

Id	ContentItemRecord_id	Title	Slug	Path
8	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
181	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
384	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
385	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
665	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
666	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
667	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
668	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
673	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
674	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
675	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
676	8	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
680	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
681	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
682	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
683	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
684	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
685	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
686	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
689	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
690	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start
691	294	Willkommen auf der Internetseite der freiwilligen Feuerwehr D�rnau	start	start

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

FWIW, 1.4 is expected at the end of this month.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM

That would be great!